fluke 54 II thermometer IR port?
Cydrome Leader
2021-02-07 19:52:33 UTC
Has anybody ever used the IR transfer function on a Fluke 54 II thermometer?
I can't locate any inforation on where the IR port even is. I don't see any
obviously IR tranparent body panels either. The service manual doesn't even
state where the port is.
John Doe
2021-02-07 20:09:09 UTC
Post by Cydrome Leader
Has anybody ever used the IR transfer function on a Fluke 54 II thermometer?
I can't locate any inforation on where the IR port even is. I don't see any
obviously IR tranparent body panels either. The service manual doesn't even
state where the port is.
What is the exact model?

Where does it say there is an IR transfer function?
John Doe
2021-02-07 20:23:18 UTC
Do you have this Fluke add-on?

https://www.amazon.com/Fluke-FVF-SC2-FlukeView-Forms-Software/dp/B000CDOGEG/

It's $252.

Here's an Amazon review (and sales pitch) from 2008 that has lots of information...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R23T1IHGHG43CS/

...for 280 Series, 53-II B and 54-II B, 180 Series, 789, 1550B and 1653B
John Doe
2021-02-07 20:26:04 UTC
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R23T1IHGHG43CS/

"I highly recommend purchasing the flukeview forms package - you need to make
sure you get the IR receiver designed for the 187 meter and not the 189 meter
(they changed specs in between those two) - the 54 and the 187 use the same
sensor so IF YOU HAVE A 187 FLUKEVIEW FORMS KIT, YOU ARE READY TO GO WITH THE
54 THERMAL METER OUT OF THE BOX."
Cydrome Leader
2021-02-07 23:13:41 UTC
Post by John Doe
Post by Cydrome Leader
Has anybody ever used the IR transfer function on a Fluke 54 II thermometer?
I can't locate any inforation on where the IR port even is. I don't see any
obviously IR tranparent body panels either. The service manual doesn't even
state where the port is.
What is the exact model?
Where does it say there is an IR transfer function?
it's a 54 II, not the B verion. It has buttons to send data, and does enter
the mode. I did some testing with a cell phone camera to see if any IR was
being emitted from the top panel with the connectors, but saw nothing when
it was in transmit mode. I doubt this works with all wavelengths of IR
though.
John Doe
2021-02-07 23:46:30 UTC
Post by Cydrome Leader
Post by John Doe
Post by Cydrome Leader
Has anybody ever used the IR transfer function on a Fluke 54 II
thermometer? I can't locate any inforation on where the IR port even
is. I don't see any obviously IR tranparent body panels either. The
service manual doesn't even state where the port is.
What is the exact model?
Where does it say there is an IR transfer function?
it's a 54 II, not the B verion. It has buttons to send data, and does
enter the mode. I did some testing with a cell phone camera to see if
any IR was being emitted from the top panel with the connectors, but saw
nothing when it was in transmit mode. I doubt this works with all
wavelengths of IR though.
https://nordicservicegroup.com/wp-content/uploads/Fluke-50-series-datasheet.pdf

"IR communication port allows data to be exported to optional FlukeView®
Temperature PC software"

FVF-SC1 FlukeView Forms Software including interface cable
Cydrome Leader
2021-02-08 01:55:40 UTC
Post by John Doe
Post by Cydrome Leader
Post by John Doe
Post by Cydrome Leader
[...]
Where is this IR port? I can't locate it. Will have to give fluke a call
about this.
John Doe
2021-02-08 05:45:26 UTC
Post by Cydrome Leader
Post by John Doe
Post by Cydrome Leader
Post by Cydrome Leader
Post by John Doe
"IR communication port allows data to be exported to optional FlukeView?
Temperature PC software"
FVF-SC1 FlukeView Forms Software including interface cable
Where is this IR port? I can't locate it. Will have to give fluke a call
about this.
It's under warrantee?
If that's all you want to know, why not open it up and look?
Cydrome Leader
2021-02-08 19:42:32 UTC
Post by John Doe
Post by Cydrome Leader
Post by John Doe
Post by Cydrome Leader
Post by Cydrome Leader
Post by John Doe
"IR communication port allows data to be exported to optional FlukeView?
Temperature PC software"
FVF-SC1 FlukeView Forms Software including interface cable
Where is this IR port? I can't locate it. Will have to give fluke a call
about this.
It's under warrantee?
If that's all you want to know, why not open it up and look?
Gave fluke a call today. Here's the story

- the 5x II series has different IR than the 5x II B series. They are not
compatible. They must use different IR transciever cables. The B series must
use the USB +IR cable. The older meters must use the serial cables, which
are discontinued. The fancy software comes with the cable itself.

The infared port itself cannot be seen in is between the T1 and T2
terminals. It must be the looks black, but is IR transmissive plastic, like
on a HP calculator.

Meter is old n used, so I'm not exactly up in arms over this, but it's sort
of weird. My only guess here is the old meter uses some type of really long
wave IR callphones can't see. I don't have a laser/IR power meter here to
test any further.

well, I tore it open just now. The "cal" sticker on the rear apparently
doesn't cover a screw, so you can open the meter with no trace. It's just a
cover from an elastomer button on the PCB itself. I was able to bend the
spring clips that hold the probes, so that's the only real plus out of this
while exercise. Those seem to get real loose on these.