OT: What's wrong with google groups
Rich Grise
2006-03-25 20:52:22 UTC
It turns out that it's Google's own fault that we get all of the homework
kiddies - I did a little experiment: I went to groups.google.com, and
followed categories: Science and Technology, and it sent me here:
http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?lnk=od&sel=16823622
Where there are more categories, one of which is "Electronics". But
if you scroll down first, you see sci.math, and sci.electronics.design.
And if you _DO_ click the "Electronics" category link, you get this:
http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?sel=16823622,16823610
where, as you can see, we're listed in the order s.e.design, s.e.repair,
s.e.basics, and so on.

So it's the Google Weinerheads' fault that we get all of the homework
questions! We're first on the list!

Notwithstanding that most of those kiddies think this is another
chat room - they ask their question, and when they don't get an
instantaneous answer, they lose interest and go find another chatroom.

And Google probably will keep it up because enough of the kiddies click
the ad links. >:-[

Thanks,
Rich
Joerg
2006-03-25 21:31:50 UTC
Hello Rich,
Post by Rich Grise
And Google probably will keep it up because enough of the kiddies click
the ad links. >:-[
Well, sure, but despite all the moaning about the advent of Google
Groups and its IMHO crummy interface we should acknowlegde that it did
revive newsgroups to some extent. Let's face it, nowadays most engineers
do not know what a newsgroups is or what a newsreader is.

In part that was also valid for me. I did know usenet since I had
Internet access but I found this group only because I had asked Win
quite a while ago. He told me about it.

Some of the homework posters might become engineers some day and then
they'll remember where to look for real answers to tough questions. So,
I guess we'll just have to tough out the homework noise :-)

It's ok if a kid wants to probe beyond the typical assignment and really
try to understand a technology. Then I'll help if I can. We just have to
be diligent enough not to jeopardize the efforts of our teachers by
doing the homework for the kids. Just as if we were their parents.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Tim Wescott
2006-03-25 21:35:08 UTC
Post by Joerg
Hello Rich,
Post by Rich Grise
[...]
To add one thought: I'm happy to _help_ someone with their homework, if
I can do it in such a way that helps to increase their understanding. I
don't want to _do_ someone's homework, because that doesn't help them
and it doesn't help me.
--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posting from Google? See http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/
Joerg
2006-03-25 21:52:30 UTC
Hello Tim,
Post by Tim Wescott
To add one thought: I'm happy to _help_ someone with their homework, if
I can do it in such a way that helps to increase their understanding. I
don't want to _do_ someone's homework, because that doesn't help them
and it doesn't help me.
Yes, provided that the request is honest. A couple days ago I answered
one where I wasn't sure. So, I pointed the kid to a web site that had
all the required formulas, err, formulae in correct academic speak.
Basically the same they could find in their physics textbook or Schaum's
Outline and with the message to try it and come back with a detailed
question if one of them isn't clear. Or in kids speak, when the kid just
doesn't grok it. Then they need help. Many of them aren't as lucky as I
was. I could ask one of my parents but a lot of kids can't.

Luhan
2006-03-25 23:01:03 UTC
Well, my new ISP (Qwest DSL) does not provide access to newsgroups.
Lucky for me to find Google gives me access....

Luhan Monat
Joerg
2006-03-25 23:13:51 UTC
Hello Luhan,
Post by Luhan
Well, my new ISP (Qwest DSL) does not provide access to newsgroups.
Lucky for me to find Google gives me access....
Yes, forgot to mention, some people just can't get newsgroups. I find
that pretty sad. It's like selling you a car that has no trunk. SBC was
kind of rocky with newsgroups in the beginning but now it's fairly
stable, including those with file posting such as a.b.s.e.

I also heard of this one but can't say much since I never tried it out:
http://services.mail2web.com/FreeServices/Usenet/

YD
2006-03-27 03:32:13 UTC
On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 23:13:51 GMT, Joerg
Post by Joerg
Hello Luhan,
Post by Luhan
Well, my new ISP (Qwest DSL) does not provide access to newsgroups.
Lucky for me to find Google gives me access....
Yes, forgot to mention, some people just can't get newsgroups. I find
that pretty sad. It's like selling you a car that has no trunk. SBC was
kind of rocky with newsgroups in the beginning but now it's fairly
stable, including those with file posting such as a.b.s.e.
http://services.mail2web.com/FreeServices/Usenet/
Regards, Joerg
http://www.analogconsultants.com
You don't need your ISP to carry the service, any accessible server
will do. There are some free text-only servers around, like
news.readfreenews.net. Look around for others. Most of the free ones
tend to be flaky, so some months ago I subscribed to Forté's APN
service, 5 gigs of text and binaries for about $3/mo. I don't regret
it.

http://www.forteinc.com/apn/index.php

- YD.
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
David L. Jones
2006-03-29 07:28:36 UTC
Post by Joerg
Hello Luhan,
Post by Luhan
Well, my new ISP (Qwest DSL) does not provide access to newsgroups.
Lucky for me to find Google gives me access....
Yes, forgot to mention, some people just can't get newsgroups. I find
that pretty sad. It's like selling you a car that has no trunk. SBC was
kind of rocky with newsgroups in the beginning but now it's fairly
stable, including those with file posting such as a.b.s.e.
http://services.mail2web.com/FreeServices/Usenet/
Regards, Joerg
http://www.analogconsultants.com
I used to use my ISP and a proper newsreader program for years until
the ISP started going flakey, and so tried another ISP and it was
flakey too. So I switched to one of the free news servers around and
that vanished after a while, so I tried another one and then that
vanished too. What a hassle.
In the end I switched to Google groups because it does 99% of what I
want, always seems to work (after some initial issues with the beta
service), and is easy to use. But the mian advantage for me now is that
I can access the groups from any machine I like and still be able to
follow threads and get new messages etc. When constantly moving between
a few different machines that's a big issue for me. I don't believe
that's possible with a regular news server and reader program (someone
correct me if I am wrong please).

I don't think I'll be switching back from google groups now, I'm happy
with it.

Unfortunately there seem to be a few people who think anyone who uses
Google Groups is a joke, and will even go as far as filtering any
mesage from a Google Groups poster. Pretty stupid attitude if you ask
me.

Dave :)
Michael A. Terrell
2006-03-29 15:01:13 UTC
Post by David L. Jones
[...]
When 95% of the messages posted through Google groups on some
newsgroups is spam, flames, trolls, and knuckle dragging idiots who
change their ID more often than they change their underwear its not a
bad idea to kill file Google groups. I had to kill file one ISP because
a moron who changed his ID three times a day. Now, I may have to kill
file Goggle Groups on that newsgroup.
prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Jim Thompson
2006-03-29 15:13:40 UTC
On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 15:01:13 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell"
<***@earthlink.net> wrote:
[snip]
Post by Michael A. Terrell
When 95% of the messages posted through Google groups on some
newsgroups is spam, flames, trolls, and knuckle dragging idiots who
change their ID more often than they change their underwear its not a
bad idea to kill file Google groups. I had to kill file one ISP because
a moron who changed his ID three times a day. Now, I may have to kill
file Goggle Groups on that newsgroup.
Michael, How are you kill filing on Google? What newsreader? Are
they all identifiable as "@gmail.com" ??

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Michael A. Terrell
2006-03-29 15:38:51 UTC
Post by Michael A. Terrell
When 95% of the messages posted through Google groups on some
newsgroups is spam, flames, trolls, and knuckle dragging idiots who
change their ID more often than they change their underwear its not a
bad idea to kill file Google groups. I had to kill file one ISP because
a moron who changed his ID three times a day. Now, I may have to kill
file Goggle Groups on that newsgroup.
Michael, How are you kill filing on Google? What newsreader? Are
...Jim Thompson
No, I have to use "nfilter", and set up a proxy server to drop
anything from Google. Its a pain in the ass, but I had to use it on a
cyberstalker. Most of the crap posted through Google groups is still
registered under free e-mail addresses that they can replace in a few
minutes when they are shut down.

http://www.nfilter.org/
prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Roy L. Fuchs
2006-03-29 18:35:08 UTC
Post by David L. Jones
I don't think I'll be switching back from google groups now, I'm happy
with it.
At least you know how to make a proper post.

Roy L. Fuchs
2006-03-26 16:57:17 UTC
Post by Luhan
Well, my new ISP (Qwest DSL) does not provide access to newsgroups.
Lucky for me to find Google gives me access....
Luhan Monat
Then they are NOT really an "ISP" and you should tell them that.

If they offer "full internet access" then they need to either
operate Usenet NNTP servers, or lease access from other providers like
SBC does from prodigy. For them to have you pay for their incomplete
service, and then further pay for news access is NOT a "full internet
access" provider, And you should tell them that, as well as telling
the BBB about it.

If you are in some other country... well... You gets what you pays
for. If you are paying $30 a month for ISP services, it should
include a NNTP service. If they do not, it is you that is getting
reamed and it is you that should seek a decent ISP.

Just so you know... Google news sucks, and the main reason is the
disrespectful attitudes of their users. So, if you are going to use
google, at least LEARN the posting protocols for Usenet that have been
in place for decades and follow them.

That means do NOT top post. Snip away unrelated context.

AND ASK if you don't know what that means. Willy Nilly posting is what
this is all about. Making Usenet unreadable CRAP is why people filter
google posters.
Keith
2006-03-27 02:10:27 UTC
Post by Luhan
Well, my new ISP (Qwest DSL) does not provide access to newsgroups.
Lucky for me to find Google gives me access....
Individual.net is available for a whopping $13/yr (10EUR). No
binaries, but it's a very good text-only Usenet service.
Keith
Rich Grise
2006-03-28 21:39:47 UTC
Post by Joerg
Hello Tim,
Post by Tim Wescott
To add one thought: I'm happy to _help_ someone with their homework, if
I can do it in such a way that helps to increase their understanding. I
don't want to _do_ someone's homework, because that doesn't help them
and it doesn't help me.
Yes, provided that the request is honest. A couple days ago I answered one
where I wasn't sure. So, I pointed the kid to a web site that had all the
required formulas, err, formulae in correct academic speak. Basically the
same they could find in their physics textbook or Schaum's Outline and
with the message to try it and come back with a detailed question if one
of them isn't clear. Or in kids speak, when the kid just doesn't grok it.
Then they need help. Many of them aren't as lucky as I was. I could ask
one of my parents but a lot of kids can't.
I got really, really lucky in this respect - some of my earliest memories
are of sitting on my Mom's lap, with her reading to me. I also had a
brother who was 5 years older than me (still is, actually - imagine that!)
and when I ran out of stuff to read around the house, I'd read his
schoolbooks. Some of my sister's (4 yrs older), too - I especially enjoyed
"Abnormal Psychology", for some reason. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich
Rich Grise
2006-03-28 21:36:27 UTC
Post by Joerg
Hello Rich,
Post by Rich Grise
[...]
Yeah - to paraphrase the old saw: "Give a kid the answer to a test
question, and he might sneak by on the test - teach the kid how to find
his own answers, and he won't _need_ to take tests!"

Cheers!
Rich
Roy L. Fuchs
2006-03-29 02:38:45 UTC
Post by Rich Grise
Yeah - to paraphrase the old saw: "Give a kid the answer to a test
question, and he might sneak by on the test - teach the kid how to find
his own answers, and he won't _need_ to take tests!"
Cheers!
Rich
That only leaves the question:

What happened to you, then?
s***@gmail.com
2006-03-29 05:47:24 UTC
Post by Joerg
Some of the homework posters might become engineers some day and then
they'll remember where to look for real answers to tough questions. So,
I guess we'll just have to tough out the homework noise :-)
It's ok if a kid wants to probe beyond the typical assignment and really
try to understand a technology. Then I'll help if I can. We just have to
be diligent enough not to jeopardize the efforts of our teachers by
doing the homework for the kids. Just as if we were their parents.
You say this as if the lack of the internet was the only thing stopping
kids in the 80s from cheating their way to a high school diploma. Or as
if cheating isn't an effective and popular way to a BS/MS/ME. It
happened then and it's happening now, and usenet isn't nearly the
biggest threat to our kids' integrity.

Making smartass replies to usenet posts that we perceive for some
reason to be unethical isn't going to make the world a better place.
Sharing what we know with someone who asks might be a good start,
though.
John Fields
2006-03-29 11:58:59 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
Post by Joerg
[...]
---
I agree.
--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer
Roy L. Fuchs
2006-03-29 18:33:07 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
Post by Joerg
[...]
You are beyond "off the mark". Cheaters are the same kind of twits
that the folks that throw their fast food trash on the ground, or spit
out their gum on the sidewalk at the bus stop, or the idiot that
thinks the location to empty his car ash tray out is by the roadside.
Low life scum, every one.

Sharing what we know is one thing. Some queries that get posted are
more than a little obvious as having a student as a source. Such posts
should not get the "share what we know" treatment. The poster needs
to be grilled like a drill instructor grills a recruit.
Roy L. Fuchs
2006-03-25 23:18:16 UTC
On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 21:31:50 GMT, Joerg
Post by Joerg
Let's face it, nowadays most engineers
do not know what a newsgroups is or what a newsreader is.
Half of them don't know engineering either.

That makes what google did OK? Not!
Robert Baer
2006-03-26 04:11:54 UTC
Post by Joerg
Hello Rich,
Post by Rich Grise
And Google probably will keep it up because enough of the kiddies click
the ad links. >:-[
Well, sure, but despite all the moaning about the advent of Google
Groups and its IMHO crummy interface we should acknowlegde that it did
revive newsgroups to some extent. Let's face it, nowadays most engineers
do not know what a newsgroups is or what a newsreader is.
** Hell, i do not even drive trains!
AZ Nomad
2006-03-26 00:08:24 UTC
Post by Rich Grise
It turns out that it's Google's own fault that we get all of the homework
kiddies - I did a little experiment: I went to groups.google.com, and
http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?lnk=od&sel=16823622
Where there are more categories, one of which is "Electronics". But
if you scroll down first, you see sci.math, and sci.electronics.design.
http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?sel=16823622,16823610
where, as you can see, we're listed in the order s.e.design, s.e.repair,
s.e.basics, and so on.
So it's the Google Weinerheads' fault that we get all of the homework
questions! We're first on the list!
Why don't you just killfile them? I put google-groups in the category of
a site that caters to spammers by providing throwaway accounts with
almost no verification. Go to hotmail, get a throwaway email account
and then go to google-groups with the hotmail account for verification and
then spam away!
petrus bitbyter
2006-03-26 00:07:29 UTC
Post by Rich Grise
[...]

Is there really anything wrong with the google groups? I sometimes use them
when the newsserver of my IP - supposed to be the best in this country -
losses some posts. Sometimes even my own ones. FAIK Google never losses any
of my messages.

IMHO there's nothing wrong with kids asking questions either. Being an
engineer I like my profession and will try to give an honest answer to an
honest question. If I get the idea the want to use me to do their homework,
I ignore the post or - sometimes - adapt my answer. Think we best can point
them to the basics group just to "group" the beginners questions.

Personally I take more offence to the adults that use abusive language. But
that's where killfiles for :)

petrus bitbyter
JeffM
2006-03-26 00:59:28 UTC
Post by petrus bitbyter
Is there really anything wrong with the google groups?
petrus bitbyter
Not inherently.
Being able to read a group anywhere is a Good Thing(tm).
The page-of-10-at-a-glance thing is what I like.
.
.
Post by petrus bitbyter
I sometimes use them when the newsserver of my IP
- supposed to be the best in this country - losses some posts.
...FAIK Google never losses any of my messages.
Last week they were in the region beyond their 5th 9
and for a few hours, submissions from Google wern't being posted.
I'm hoping that was them
trying to work the bugs out of their latest "inprovement";
they added "Ratings" (Yeech)
and broke several other things in the process.
.
.
Post by petrus bitbyter
...there's nothing wrong with kids asking questions[...]
If I get the idea [they] want to use me to do their homework,
I[...]sometimes - adapt my answer.
Yeah. It gives bored people a chance to be creative:
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.electronics.basics/browse_frm/thread/694a3740c4b044c7/8f1c19da2687c23b?q=*-*-textbook-*-*-*-*-*-*-*+*-from-burning-out-John-Fields+45-megohms
Roy L. Fuchs
2006-03-26 17:04:12 UTC
Post by JeffM
Yeah. It gives bored people
SNIPPED RETARDED LONG LINE

Hey, idiot! Usenet ALSO has line length limitations.
Roy L. Fuchs
2006-03-26 17:00:20 UTC
On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 01:07:29 +0100, "petrus bitbyter"
Post by petrus bitbyter
Is there really anything wrong with the google groups? I sometimes use them
when the newsserver of my IP - supposed to be the best in this country -
losses some posts.
You're an idiot. If your ISP has an NNTP server they are NOT "losing
posts". If they lease access via another provider, they are NOT losing
posts.

Your posts WILL NOT always show up immediately. That is YOU losing
your brains if you run over to google right away and repost your CRAP.
David L. Jones
2006-03-29 07:37:26 UTC
Post by petrus bitbyter
Post by Rich Grise
[...]
With the Google groups usenet archive being the repositry of all
messages these days, it could be argued that Google groups is the best
place to post, as you are (presumably) guaranteed it will get in the
archive.

The Google groups archive is the best thing to happen to usenet in a
long time, no need to go to deja-news any more. As for Google groups
posting, well it's just another usenet program really. If you don't
like it, don't use. Just like any other usenet program, some are crap,
some are good. Same with ISP usenet servers.

Dave :)
Michael A. Terrell
2006-03-29 15:04:13 UTC
Post by David L. Jones
The Google groups archive is the best thing to happen to usenet in a
long time, no need to go to deja-news any more. As for Google groups
posting, well it's just another usenet program really. If you don't
like it, don't use. Just like any other usenet program, some are crap,
some are good. Same with ISP usenet servers.
Dave :)
Some messages don't deserve to be archived, and Deja News is now
Goggle Groups, in case you missed the changeover several years ago.
prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Ken Smith
2006-03-26 04:19:53 UTC
In article <***@example.net>,
Rich Grise <***@example.net> wrote:
[....]
Post by Rich Grise
chat room - they ask their question, and when they don't get an
instantaneous answer, they lose interest and go find another chatroom.
And Google probably will keep it up because enough of the kiddies click
the ad links. >:-[
Don't tell Google I suggested this:

Google could get a lot more clicks on the ads if they did the following:

The first "group" on the list should actually feed the post into a robot
parser. The parser could find some key phrases and then compose a reply
like this:

Hi, <Insert name>
It has been a long time since I've worked on <insert subject> but I
know I've got the answer in a note book in the other room. If you
give me about 15 minutes, I think I'll be able to find it for you.

BTW: Did you see the coooool web site <insert company> has set up on
google yet.

Back atya in 15 my friend.

Then about 12 minutes later:

Hey <insert name>
I think I found what you are looking for. Its at this site down near
the bottom of the page.
<insert company link>
***@rahul.net forging knowledge