The proper way to post to a group
JeffM
2003-10-10 01:10:37 UTC
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/10/08/2348224&mode=nested&tid=106&tid=185&threshold=5

Notice that vast amounts of text from the previous post is not
re-posted
(blockquoted).

There was recently a ridiculous squabble
as to whether it was proper to add you comment above or below the
existing text.

The answer is NEITHER.

That newsreader software, as a convenience to its user,
blockquotes the whole damned previous post is a major source of the
problem.
It doesn't take into account those fools who don't know enough
to edit the blockquote to the minimal snip
(often the new post doesn't need ANY snip.

Most folks who post to newsgroups have never seen a set of rules
(and many others generally choose to ignore them when displayed).
http://216.239.33.104/search?q=cache:ox5j4dSLfP0J:homepages.rootsweb.com/~scroots/sc09773.htm+%22Don%27t+quote+excessively%22++Netiquette+%22Steven+J.+Coker%22+uppercase+quoting&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8
http://216.239.33.104/search?q=cache:XKQH9mPJtiEJ:mailman.dca.net/pipermail/idyllchat/2002-September/008799.html+Idyllchat+quoting+Netiquette+sep+%22all+caps%22&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8
Those who visit _good_ BBSs (bulletin board systems)
have likely seen the proper technique.

</rant>
John Larkin

John
Jim Thompson
2003-10-10 01:30:42 UTC
On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 18:29:04 -0700, John Larkin
Post by John Larkin
Post by JeffM
[...]
Me too ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Garrett Mace
DarkMatter
2003-10-10 05:51:42 UTC
Post by Garrett Mace
Excellent top-posting point!
Said the total usenet retard that just quoted 64 lines to make yet
one more baby bullshit one line twit post.
Garrett Mace
2003-10-10 11:53:16 UTC
That was *exactly* the point, sorry it went over your head.
John Larkin
2003-10-10 15:51:51 UTC
On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 06:53:16 -0500, "Garrett Mace"
Post by Garrett Mace
Post by DarkMatter
Post by Garrett Mace
Excellent top-posting point!
Said the total usenet retard that just quoted 64 lines to make yet
one more baby bullshit one line twit post.
That was *exactly* the point, sorry it went over your head.
DM lives in an irony-free zone.

John
JeffM
2003-10-10 06:49:18 UTC
Alright, which one of you is really Alanis Morissette?
http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~harel/cgi/page/htmlit?Ironic.html&printer

On the Craig Kilborne show,
this question was posed to Alanis Morissette:

Lets play the pyramid:
a toothless dentist
a pilot who's scared of heights
driving on parkways and parking on driveways
a bald hairstylist

(She didn't get it.)
DarkMatter
2003-10-10 14:13:47 UTC
Post by JeffM
(She didn't get it.)
Neither did you.
Active8
2003-10-10 15:52:07 UTC
Post by JeffM
driving on parkways and parking on driveways
that's an old joke by george carlin, paraphrased. he was funnier.

mike
JeffM
2003-10-11 00:19:38 UTC
You didn't get it either.

Alanis Morissette wrote a song called "Ironic"
in which she uses some examples of irony which aren't valid
--probably because she doesn't understand what the word means.

Spehro Pefhany
DarkMatter
2003-10-10 05:20:07 UTC
Post by JeffM
The answer is NEITHER.
That newsreader software, as a convenience to its user,
blockquotes the whole damned previous post is a major source of the
problem.
Yer an idiot. I can highlight ANY text, and click reply, and VIOLA!
The new post has ONLY THAT text quoted, you total usenet retard!
N. Thornton
2003-10-10 10:56:27 UTC
Hi. Couldnt help but notice this bit :)
* Don't try to impose your personal philosophy about how the world, or the
mailing list, should work on others. There is room for a diversity of
attitudes
and philosophies. Try to be tolerant. If you must complain, do it
nicely.
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/10/08/2348224&mode=nested&tid=106&tid=185&threshold=5
There was recently a ridiculous squabble
as to whether it was proper to add you comment above or below the
existing text.
The answer is NEITHER.
(often the new post doesn't need ANY snip.
Most folks who post to newsgroups have never seen a set of rules
And also there was nothing mentioned about middle-posting.
AndthebitaboutwritingIdontknowwhoneedsallthat

Regards, NT
</rant>
John Larkin
2003-10-10 15:54:40 UTC
And also there was nothing mentioned about middle-posting. Right-side posting is cool,
AndthebitaboutwritingIdontknowwhoneedsallthat except in England, where
they do everything backwards.
Regards, NT John
Jim Thompson
2003-10-10 16:30:33 UTC
On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 08:54:40 -0700, John Larkin
And also there was nothing mentioned about middle-posting. Right-side posting is cool,
AndthebitaboutwritingIdontknowwhoneedsallthat except in England, where
they do everything backwards.
Regards, NT John
Hey! That's really cool! I'll have to fire up UltraEdit which can do
columnar mode.

...Jim Thompson

DarkMatter
2003-10-10 20:13:34 UTC
On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 09:30:33 -0700, Jim Thompson
Post by Jim Thompson
On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 08:54:40 -0700, John Larkin
And also there was nothing mentioned about middle-posting. Right-side posting is cool,
AndthebitaboutwritingIdontknowwhoneedsallthat except in England, where
they do everything backwards.
Regards, NT John
Hey! That's really cool! I'll have to fire up UltraEdit which can do
columnar mode.
It probably wouldn't work here though.

You guys sure do waste a lot of your time saying nothing meaningful.

Your time must only be worth that of a burger flipper.
John Fields
2003-10-10 20:20:01 UTC
On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 13:13:34 -0700, DarkMatter
Post by DarkMatter
You guys sure do waste a lot of your time saying nothing meaningful.
---
And you waste a lot of everyone else's time by doing the same thing.
John Fields
John Larkin
2003-10-10 20:26:14 UTC
Post by Jim Thompson
On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 08:54:40 -0700, John Larkin
And also there was nothing mentioned about middle-posting. Right-side posting is cool,
AndthebitaboutwritingIdontknowwhoneedsallthat except in England, where
they do everything backwards.
Regards, NT John
Hey! That's really cool! I'll have to fire up UltraEdit which can do
columnar mode.
It probably wouldn't work here though.
You guys sure do waste a lot of your time saying nothing meaningful.
Your time must only be worth that of a burger flipper.
My time, as I figure it, is worth about $1750.00 per hour. And I can
do whatever I like with it.

A little nonsense now and then
Is relished by the wisest men.

- Willy Wonka

John
unknown
2003-10-10 11:40:41 UTC
Netiquette: "When thou enter a city, abide by its customs."
http://www.glowworms.com/~vez/neti.html

How To Followup A Post On Netnews Properly
http://www.star-one.org.uk/computer/format.htm

Usenet 101: How to properly format a Usenet post
http://home.sprintmail.com/~dtrout/Usenet101.html

Posting help for newbies
http://www.windfalls.net/ukrm/postinghelp.html

Bottom vs. top posting and quotation style on Usenet
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/brox.html

Zen and the art of the internet (usenet section)
http://www.cs.indiana.edu/docproject/zen/zen-1.0_6.html

The seven don'ts of Usenet
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/dont.html

Why bottom-posting is better than top-posting
http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

+What do you mean "my reply is upside-down"?
http://www.i-hate-computers.demon.co.uk/

The advantages of usenet's quoting conventions
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/g.mccaughan/g/remarks/uquote.html

Rules for posting to Usenet
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/posting-rules/part1/

Why should I place my response below the quoted text?
http://allmyfaqs.com/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Top-posting_or_bottom-posting

Why you shouldn't ask for E-mail responses on Usenet
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/mail-responses.html

Quoting Style in Newsgroup Postings
http://www.xs4all.nl/%7ewijnands/nnq/nquote.html

Put an end to Outlook Express's messy quotes with this automated fix!

For the Engineer/Programmer: News related RFCs and Drafts
http://www.tin.org/docs.html

From (spit!) microsoft:

"When including text from a previous message in the thread,
trim it down to include only text pertinent to your response.
Your response should appear below the quoted information."
- http://www.jsiinc.com/newsgroup_document.htm