OT! OT! Trivia for the day
Jim Thompson
2004-02-24 22:25:54 UTC
On this day in 1863 President Abraham Lincoln signed the bill creating
the Arizona Territory.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Vdoh
2004-02-24 22:37:49 UTC
Ctrl k.
Jim Thompson
2004-02-24 22:47:10 UTC
Post by Vdoh
Post by Jim Thompson
On this day in 1863 President Abraham Lincoln signed the bill creating
the Arizona Territory.
...Jim Thompson
Ctrl k.
And ctrl-K to you too ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Richard Henry
I don't think he saw it.
Boris Mohar
Boris Mohar
John Fields
2004-02-25 00:06:03 UTC
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 18:32:33 -0500, Boris Mohar
Post by Boris Mohar
Post by Jim Thompson
On this day in 1863 President Abraham Lincoln signed the bill creating
the Arizona Territory.
...Jim Thompson
Ctrl k.
And ctrl-K to you too ;-)
I don't think he saw it.
He did now
---
He did before, too... :-)
John Fields
Winfield Hill
2004-02-25 01:56:43 UTC
John Fields wrote...
Post by John Fields
He did before, too... :-)
control-K is over-rated. It's a posturing exclamation, to
be flaunted as an aggressive responsive statement. Don't
like what someone says? Don't highlight it, ignore it!

Thanks,
- Win

whill_at_picovolt-dot-com
Jim Thompson
2004-02-25 03:15:01 UTC
On 24 Feb 2004 17:56:43 -0800, Winfield Hill
Post by Winfield Hill
John Fields wrote...
Post by John Fields
He did before, too... :-)
control-K is over-rated. It's a posturing exclamation, to
be flaunted as an aggressive responsive statement. Don't
like what someone says? Don't highlight it, ignore it!
Thanks,
- Win
whill_at_picovolt-dot-com
Certainly, let's not exhibit any aggressiveness... someone weenie
might feel less capable... self esteem is all important ;-)

...Jim Thompson

John Fields
2004-02-25 13:25:55 UTC
On 24 Feb 2004 17:56:43 -0800, Winfield Hill
Post by Winfield Hill
John Fields wrote...
Post by John Fields
He did before, too... :-)
control-K is over-rated. It's a posturing exclamation, to
be flaunted as an aggressive responsive statement. Don't
like what someone says? Don't highlight it, ignore it!
---
Hogwash. You obviously don't like people using CTRL-K, yet you're
highlighting it very specifically instead of ignoring it.

Ignore-ance is not a good thing; If you don't like what someone says let
them know about it.
John Fields
Frank Bemelman
2004-02-25 14:01:30 UTC
Post by Jim Thompson
On 24 Feb 2004 17:56:43 -0800, Winfield Hill
Post by Winfield Hill
John Fields wrote...
Post by John Fields
He did before, too... :-)
control-K is over-rated. It's a posturing exclamation, to
be flaunted as an aggressive responsive statement. Don't
like what someone says? Don't highlight it, ignore it!
---
Hogwash. You obviously don't like people using CTRL-K, yet you're
highlighting it very specifically instead of ignoring it.
Ignore-ance is not a good thing; If you don't like what someone says let
them know about it.
Yes, but it *is* time consuming ;) So I ignore a lot. Besides, everybody
should know by now that JT is asocial -crossposting for no reason- asshole.
--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove 'x' and 'invalid' when replying by email)
Winfield Hill
2004-02-25 19:22:33 UTC
John Fields wrote...
Post by John Fields
Post by Winfield Hill
John Fields wrote...
Post by John Fields
He did before, too... :-)
control-K is over-rated. It's a posturing exclamation, to
be flaunted as an aggressive responsive statement. Don't
like what someone says? Don't highlight it, ignore it!
Hogwash. You obviously don't like people using CTRL-K, yet
you're highlighting it very specifically instead of ignoring it.
Ignore-ance is not a good thing; If you don't like what someone
says let them know about it.
Flame on? Not my style, not pleasant to see from others either.
Generally, anyway. :>)

Thanks,
- Win

whill_at_picovolt-dot-com
Terry Pinnell
2004-02-25 17:42:37 UTC
Post by Jim Thompson
On this day in 1863 President Abraham Lincoln signed the bill creating
the Arizona Territory.
...Jim Thompson
Why do you so tiresomely cross-post virtually everything? Including
your OT trivia...

Even those of us who have long since filtered you out end up with a
lot of clutter across the groups. How about a bit more focus please?
--
Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK
Jim Thompson
2004-02-25 17:50:00 UTC
On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 17:42:37 +0000, Terry Pinnell
Post by Terry Pinnell
Post by Jim Thompson
On this day in 1863 President Abraham Lincoln signed the bill creating
the Arizona Territory.
...Jim Thompson
Why do you so tiresomely cross-post virtually everything? Including
your OT trivia...
Even those of us who have long since filtered you out end up with a
lot of clutter across the groups. How about a bit more focus please?
I frequent a few dozen groups. Those of us with half-a-brain use a
good news reader like Agent which sees only *one instance* of the
posting. Thus I can cross-post to my multitude of "buddies" without
offense... at least for those with half-a-brain.

Why do "those of us who have long since filtered you out" post a
response ?:-)

Would "a bit more focus please" mean post more f...ing LED blinkers?

...Jim Thompson

Frank Bemelman
2004-02-25 18:31:19 UTC
Post by Terry Pinnell
Post by Jim Thompson
On this day in 1863 President Abraham Lincoln signed the bill creating
the Arizona Territory.
...Jim Thompson
Why do you so tiresomely cross-post virtually everything? Including
your OT trivia...
Even those of us who have long since filtered you out end up with a
lot of clutter across the groups. How about a bit more focus please?
I frequent a few dozen groups. Those of us with half-a-brain use a
good news reader like Agent which sees only *one instance* of the
posting. Thus I can cross-post to my multitude of "buddies" without
offense... at least for those with half-a-brain.
Yes, it works for those with half-a-brain. You are abusing the
system for your own selfish reasons. But it takes a 3/4 of a
brain to realize that... There are also many providers that
have a limit set to 3 for crossposting, making it a nuisance to
reply to your half-brain garbage.
John Woodgate
2004-02-25 19:13:09 UTC
I read in sci.electronics.design that Frank Bemelman
There are also many providers that have a limit set to 3 for
crossposting, making it a nuisance to reply to your half-brain garbage.
Well, that's damn silly. I'm not going to try to find the RFC, but AIUI
the official limit on cross-posting is FOUR groups, not three.
Jim Thompson
2004-02-25 19:25:34 UTC
On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 19:13:09 +0000, John Woodgate
Post by John Woodgate
I read in sci.electronics.design that Frank Bemelman
There are also many providers that have a limit set to 3 for
crossposting, making it a nuisance to reply to your half-brain garbage.
Well, that's damn silly. I'm not going to try to find the RFC, but AIUI
the official limit on cross-posting is FOUR groups, not three.
I don't see Bemelman replies anyway ;-)

And there's a difference between cross-posting and multi-posting; but
some people seem to be stuck with MicroShit readers.

...Jim Thompson

Tim Williams
2004-02-25 21:01:34 UTC
but some people seem to be stuck with MicroShit readers.
Wow... maybe because... IT WORKS PERFECTLY FINE!!! What a quantum leap!

The only thing I've ever seen against it personally are the occasional Java
"click ok" "click ok" (message box in endless loop) posts, and I've only
ever seen one of them. Everything else is scare-mongering, outdated
opinions and bad configurations.

Tim

--
"I have misplaced my pants." - Homer Simpson | Electronics,
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --+ Metalcasting
and Games: http://webpages.charter.net/dawill/tmoranwms
Bill Garber
2004-02-25 21:09:07 UTC
"Tim Williams" <***@charter.net> wrote in message news:***@corp.supernews.com...
: "Jim Thompson" <***@example.com> wrote in message
: news:***@4ax.com...
: > but some people seem to be stuck with MicroShit readers.
:
: Wow... maybe because... IT WORKS PERFECTLY FINE!!! What a
quantum leap!
:
: The only thing I've ever seen against it personally are the
occasional Java
: "click ok" "click ok" (message box in endless loop) posts, and
I've only
: ever seen one of them. Everything else is scare-mongering,
outdated
: opinions and bad configurations.
:
: Tim

Thanks Tim. I have no problem with MicroSoft products
either. If I do, I know how to fix it. It's a matter
of getting into it and learning how things work. I have
the same problem with Macs that everyone who runs Macs
or *nix boxes have with M$. I don't have knowledge of
them enough to use them and don't really want to have
enough knowledge to use them all the time. Anyway, I am
glad to see someone else sticking up for MicroSoft besides
me. It is refreshing.

Bill @ GarberStreet Enterprizez };-)
Web Site - http://garberstreet.netfirms.com
Email - ***@comXcast.net
Remove - SPAM and X to contact me

---
This email ain't infected, dude!

Jim Thompson
2004-02-25 21:53:04 UTC
On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 16:09:07 -0500, "Bill Garber"
Post by Bill Garber
[...]
Ever tried Agent?

...Jim Thompson

Bill Garber
2004-02-25 22:01:30 UTC
:
: >:
: >: The only thing I've ever seen against it personally are the
: >occasional Java
: >: "click ok" "click ok" (message box in endless loop) posts,
and
: >I've only
: >: ever seen one of them. Everything else is scare-mongering,
: >outdated
: >: opinions and bad configurations.
: >:
: >: Tim
: >
: >Thanks Tim. I have no problem with MicroSoft products
: >either. If I do, I know how to fix it. It's a matter
: >of getting into it and learning how things work. I have
: >the same problem with Macs that everyone who runs Macs
: >or *nix boxes have with M$. I don't have knowledge of
: >them enough to use them and don't really want to have
: >enough knowledge to use them all the time. Anyway, I am
: >glad to see someone else sticking up for MicroSoft besides
: >me. It is refreshing.
: >
: >Bill @ GarberStreet Enterprizez };-)
: >Web Site - http://garberstreet.netfirms.com
: >Email - ***@comXcast.net
: >Remove - SPAM and X to contact me
:
: Ever tried Agent?

Of course. I used it all the time in the early 90's,
but I've become very accustomed to OE newsreader and
I tried to go back to Agent just recently and I just
couldn't get back into it.

Mark J.
2004-02-26 00:04:29 UTC
Post by Bill Garber
Post by Tim Williams
[...]
I tried Agent too, and didn't like it. For actual binaries, I use NewsBin
Pro. It's somewhat like agent and very good for binary files, but this group
(ABSE) is hardly binaries and thus negates its purpose totally; 99% of the
time this place is some freakazoid ranting about something or another. When
I was a child, I imagined engineers to be smart, reserved, honorable, elite,
upstanding members of society... like Winfield Hill and John Popelish. Seems
life is not without a sense of irony that "tricksters" like Jim would be the
most influential.
Jim Thompson
2004-02-26 00:46:09 UTC
On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 19:04:29 -0500, "Mark J." <127.0.0.1> wrote:

[snip]
Post by Mark J.
I tried Agent too, and didn't like it. For actual binaries, I use NewsBin
Pro. It's somewhat like agent and very good for binary files, but this group
(ABSE) is hardly binaries and thus negates its purpose totally; 99% of the
time this place is some freakazoid ranting about something or another. When
I was a child, I imagined engineers to be smart, reserved, honorable, elite,
upstanding members of society... like Winfield Hill and John Popelish. Seems
life is not without a sense of irony that "tricksters" like Jim would be the
most influential.
What a pile of horse pucky. Is there ever anything posted here any
more involved than flashing LED's, or an occasional H-bridge?

"Trickster, ehhhh? You need to do a little research... there are at
least 87 circuits posted to the S.E.D/Schematics Page of my website...
all posted in response to questions in A.B.S.E and S.E.D; and 19
schematic posts to A.B.S.E in the past 12 months (I only keep post
copies for 12 months).

What have you designed recently? I've designed 15 chips or subsets
of chips, and one hybrid circuit in the past 12 months.

And... might as well keep tooting my horn... 18 patents.

So GFY ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Sir Charles W. Shults III
2004-02-26 01:30:50 UTC
Post by Jim Thompson
[snip]
<snip>
Post by Jim Thompson
What have you designed recently? I've designed 15 chips or subsets
of chips, and one hybrid circuit in the past 12 months.
And... might as well keep tooting my horn... 18 patents.
So GFY ;-)
...Jim Thompson
Toot away, Jim, you've earned it!

Cheers!

Chip Shults
Jim Thompson
2004-02-26 01:37:34 UTC
On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 01:30:50 GMT, "Sir Charles W. Shults III"
Post by Sir Charles W. Shults III
Post by Jim Thompson
[snip]
<snip>
Post by Jim Thompson
What have you designed recently? I've designed 15 chips or subsets
of chips, and one hybrid circuit in the past 12 months.
And... might as well keep tooting my horn... 18 patents.
So GFY ;-)
...Jim Thompson
Toot away, Jim, you've earned it!
Cheers!
Chip Shults
My apologies, I got torqued by a pipsqueak :-(

...Jim Thompson

Mark J.
2004-02-26 02:07:53 UTC
Post by Jim Thompson
[snip]
Post by Mark J.
[...]
What's happened to you Jim? Am I next on your kill-file list? Then who
will it be, will you alienate everyone until the world perfectly suits you?
Sounds like a pretty lonely place if you ask me.

The JT that I knew would have seen that I was not being insultive, well not
intentionally anyways. Perhaps sarcastic, but you'd have to put some effort
forth in understanding me to realize that. It was you yourself that claimed
you were the trickster, which is why I used quotes. And it's funny, whenever
I try to stimulate us with what I think is a valid binary post about such
things as VCOs, PUTs, digital delay, 32-bit R2R, digital pots, MAX Function
Generators, SPICE, yadda yadda yadda, it is either torn to shreds or
ignored. Everyone (ABSE) knows exactly what I'm talking about, and it
doesn't have to be explained any further.

What do you have against blinking LEDs and H-bridges anyhow? Just because
it's ancient history to you doesn't mean it isn't good stuff for the rest of
us. Are we supposed to never touch these while you are in the house? If you
want a Usenet channel dedicated for only the old pros to linger in, why not
lobby your ISP to create alt.binaries.electronics.pros or similar? Then the
rest of us could get back to H-bridges and blinking LEDs and actually LEARN
something.

19 schematics in 12 months, eh... That comes out to one new schematic here
every 2.74 weeks. This is out of how many regulars, 20? If we need a
heavy-duty newsreader to handle that much data, well... OE works for me,
it's fast, free, ergonomic, built-in, I can fix it easily if it breaks, and
it's safe if you know what you're doing. It does exactly what I need it to
and don't want or need anything else. So why switch? Isn't it personal
preference anyways? I don't care if Agent is the best _______* in the world.
(* Fill-in-the-blank.)

And to compare your accomplishments against an admitted fledgling
experimenter with zero college education... now there's something to brag
about. We all know your accomplishments, Jim. Should I have kneeled instead?
I'm not a fan of "holier-than-thou-ism" in any sense of the word, and I'd
hope any man of intelligence would see why. I respect you because of your
accomplishments and your senior, but I don't play games. Perhaps that's why
most Texans are intrisically on my shitlist, even though my own brother is
one. Nothing in life is ever free, perfect, guaranteed, or worth a shit in
the end. (Don't read into that.)

I'd happily GFM, it would be the most excitement I'd had in quite awhile.
But I've only got one of the two connectors, and it ain't the receiving one.
;)
Bill Garber
2004-02-26 00:47:47 UTC
"Mark J." <127.0.0.1> wrote in message news:_-KdnYKYKq-NpaDdRVn-***@buckeye-express.com...
: In news:WIOdnb67s7WShqDdRVn-***@comcast.com (Bill Garber):
: > "Jim Thompson" <***@example.com> wrote in message
: > news:***@4ax.com...
: >> On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 16:09:07 -0500, "Bill Garber"
: >> <***@comcast.net> wrote:
: >>
: >>> "Tim Williams" <***@charter.net> wrote in message
: >>> news:***@corp.supernews.com...
: >>>> "Jim Thompson" <***@example.com> wrote in message
: >>>> news:***@4ax.com...
: >>>>> but some people seem to be stuck with MicroShit readers.
: >>>>
: >>>> Wow... maybe because... IT WORKS PERFECTLY FINE!!! What a
quantum
: >>>> leap!
: >>>>
: >>>> The only thing I've ever seen against it personally are
the
: >>>> occasional Java "click ok" "click ok" (message box in
endless loop)
: >>>> posts, and I've only ever seen one of them. Everything
else is
: >>>> scare-mongering, outdated opinions and bad configurations.
: >>>>
: >>>> Tim
: >>>
[...]

It's like anything else in life, you get so used
to something that any change is difficult to adapt
to, plus if the original thing is good, works, and
is still available, why bother.

Jim Thompson
2004-02-26 01:02:05 UTC
Post by Tim Williams
but some people seem to be stuck with MicroShit readers.
Wow... maybe because... IT WORKS PERFECTLY FINE!!! What a quantum leap!
[snip]

Except it shows more than one instance of a cross-post? That's plain
dumb.

...Jim Thompson

Bill Garber
2004-02-26 01:58:38 UTC
wrote:
:
: >In news:WIOdnb67s7WShqDdRVn-***@comcast.com (Bill Garber):
: >> "Jim Thompson" <***@example.com> wrote in message
: >> news:***@4ax.com...
: >>> On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 16:09:07 -0500, "Bill Garber"
: >>> <***@comcast.net> wrote:
: >>>
: >>>> "Tim Williams" <***@charter.net> wrote in message
: >>>> news:***@corp.supernews.com...
: >>>>> "Jim Thompson" <***@example.com> wrote in message
: >>>>> news:***@4ax.com...
: >>>>>> but some people seem to be stuck with MicroShit readers.
: >>>>>
: >>>>> Wow... maybe because... IT WORKS PERFECTLY FINE!!! What
a quantum
: >>>>> leap!
: >>>>>
: [snip]
:
: Except it shows more than one instance of a cross-post? That's
plain
: dumb.

Only because you didn't set the switch that prevents that.
Yes, there is a soft-switch that prevents cross-posts from
being repeated in each group that you read. Simply check
that box and they are shown as read as soon as you download
the group.

Jim Thompson
2004-02-26 02:02:03 UTC
On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 20:58:38 -0500, "Bill Garber"
[snip]
Post by Bill Garber
: Except it shows more than one instance of a cross-post? That's
plain
: dumb.
Only because you didn't set the switch that prevents that.
Yes, there is a soft-switch that prevents cross-posts from
being repeated in each group that you read. Simply check
that box and they are shown as read as soon as you download
the group.
Web Site - http://garberstreet.netfirms.com
Remove - SPAM and X to contact me
Since I'm an Agent user I didn't know (Agent automatically takes care
of this)... the OP was bitching about cross-posts showing up multiple
times, so I guess he's every bit as ignorant as I thought he was ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Bill Garber
2004-02-26 02:57:30 UTC
: <***@comcast.net> wrote:
:
[...]

I guess that was easier for him than asking what
can be done on his end of things. Some people are
too proud to ask for advice or click that little
word "Help" in the menu bar. 8o)

DarkMatter
2004-02-27 03:50:43 UTC
On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 19:02:03 -0700, Jim Thompson
Post by Jim Thompson
Since I'm an Agent user I didn't know (Agent automatically takes care
of this)... the OP was bitching about cross-posts showing up multiple
times, so I guess he's every bit as ignorant as I thought he was ;-)
You're the idiot for performing the cross posts, and actually acting
as if the habit is "okie dokie".
Frank Bemelman
2004-02-27 07:18:45 UTC
Post by Jim Thompson
Since I'm an Agent user I didn't know (Agent automatically takes care
of this)... the OP was bitching about cross-posts showing up multiple
times, so I guess he's every bit as ignorant as I thought he was ;-)
Outlook Express takes care of it too, marks them as 'read' amonst
all newsgroups. In that sense there is no problem.

But it is just not very polite to crosspost, without reason. The
system still needs to store/transport multiple copies. That's
your part of the 'ignorance' going on here, but since you have
only half a brain, and one that is actually rapidly shrinking
too, there is little hope.
DarkMatter
2004-02-27 03:45:29 UTC
On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 14:53:04 -0700, Jim Thompson
Post by Jim Thompson
Ever tried Agent?
You have, but you have no clue what you've got.
DarkMatter
2004-02-27 03:44:24 UTC
On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 12:25:34 -0700, Jim Thompson
Post by Jim Thompson
And there's a difference between cross-posting and multi-posting; but
some people seem to be stuck with MicroShit readers.
When you author a post, and put more than one group in the
"newsgroups" field, THAT IS cross-posting, no matter what your half
witted half brain thinks, or tries to say to rationalize it as
something other. Try again, DildoShit.
Frank Bemelman
2004-02-25 22:06:43 UTC
Post by John Woodgate
I read in sci.electronics.design that Frank Bemelman
There are also many providers that have a limit set to 3 for
crossposting, making it a nuisance to reply to your half-brain garbage.
Well, that's damn silly. I'm not going to try to find the RFC, but AIUI
the official limit on cross-posting is FOUR groups, not three.
Which makes JT crossposting all acceptable.
Richard Henry
Five.
Bill Garber
2004-02-25 23:32:02 UTC
"Richard Henry" <***@home.com> wrote in message news:wN9%b.1307$***@fed1read06...
:
: "John Woodgate" <***@jmwa.demon.contraspam.yuk> wrote in
message
: news:***@jmwa.demon.co.uk...
: > I read in sci.electronics.design that Frank Bemelman
: > <***@euronet.invalid.nl> wrote (in
<403cea0c$0$63137$***@news.w
: > anadoo.nl>) about 'OT! OT! Trivia for the day', on Wed, 25
Feb 2004:
: > >There are also many providers that have a limit set to 3 for
: > >crossposting, making it a nuisance to reply to your
half-brain garbage.
: >
: > Well, that's damn silly. I'm not going to try to find the
RFC, but AIUI
: > the official limit on cross-posting is FOUR groups, not
three.
:
: Five.

I have five, I have five, do I hear six. 8O)

DarkMatter
Mine.... mine!... mine!... -flock of seagulls, "Finding Nemo"
DarkMatter
2004-02-27 03:41:57 UTC
On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 10:50:00 -0700, Jim Thompson
Post by Jim Thompson
I frequent a few dozen groups.
So fucking what? One STILL makes individual posts to groups, not
multi-group cross posts. It's a usenet thing. I am surprised that
you are not aware of it. It is severely frowned upon, and really
makes no fucking sense either.
Post by Jim Thompson
Those of us with half-a-brain use a
good news reader like Agent which sees only *one instance* of the
posting.
They way you view messages, and they way you put a post up are two
entirely different things, dipshit. Cross posting is frowned on, even
at YOUR ISP level. Got clue?

The only reason I carry cross posted messages is because I don't
know where the retard I am posting to is at. It doesn't matter that
you are one of those retards that is in all of those groups, most
cross posters are not. Many post a query in several groups, and only
look for replies till they find a sufficient answer, and they are
never seen in the other groups again.

How your fuk'd half a brain contorted that into "Cross posting is a
convenient way to hit all of *my* groups." is beyond the ability to
be analysed. It is wrong... face it... stop it...
Post by Jim Thompson
Thus I can cross-post to my multitude of "buddies" without
offense... at least for those with half-a-brain.
No. Both you and anybody that your fuck'd method of using Usenet
has perverted are fucked in the head.
Post by Jim Thompson
Why do "those of us who have long since filtered you out" post a
response ?:-)
You're an idiot. A true idiot.
Post by Jim Thompson
Would "a bit more focus please" mean post more f...ing LED blinkers?
Actually, you need a foil cap, some purple tennis shoes, and some
good ol' South American kool-aid.
DarkMatter
2004-02-27 03:29:59 UTC
Post by Jim Thompson
On this day in 1863 President Abraham Lincoln signed the bill creating
the Arizona Territory.
...Jim Thompson
My favorite presidential line so far is tricky Dickie saying:

"Don't confuse me with the facts..." -R. M. Nixon