Amazon Taking Pre-Orders on Fire Phone
b***@gmail.com
2014-06-20 02:19:09 UTC
http://www.forbes.com/sites/lauraheller/2014/06/19/amazons-fire-phone-is-a-killer-shopping-app/

Has to be thru AT&T, some plans w/phone run up to $650, basic is $199, but you get a 12 month extension of Amazon Prime, so that makes it worth it.
Jan Panteltje
2014-06-20 05:40:32 UTC
On a sunny day (Thu, 19 Jun 2014 19:19:09 -0700 (PDT)) it happened
Post by b***@gmail.com
http://www.forbes.com/sites/lauraheller/2014/06/19/amazons-fire-phone-is-a-killer-shopping-app/
Has to be thru AT&T, some plans w/phone run up to $650, basic is $199, but you get a 12 month extension of Amazon Prime, so that
makes it worth it.
It is just an amazon shopping basket.
You do not need it.
Least of all pay for it.
Robert Baer
BUT....it is so _cool_!
Jeff Liebermann
2014-06-20 16:10:41 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
http://www.forbes.com/sites/lauraheller/2014/06/19/amazons-fire-phone-is-a-killer-shopping-app/
Has to be thru AT&T, some plans w/phone run up to $650, basic is $199, but you get a 12 month extension of Amazon Prime, so that
makes it worth it.
It is just an amazon shopping basket.
You do not need it.
Least of all pay for it.
BUT....it is so _cool_!
It's only cool if Amazon delivers the merchandise by quadcopter:
<http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/171879-amazon-unveils-30-minute-prime-air-quadcopter-delivery-service-but-its-completely-impractical>
--
Jeff Liebermann ***@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Robert Baer
Oh! Oh! Oh! May I have one? (pant..pant)
Jeff Liebermann
2014-06-22 05:31:42 UTC
On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 21:21:36 -0700, Robert Baer
Post by Robert Baer
Post by Jeff Liebermann
<http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/171879-amazon-unveils-30-minute-prime-air-quadcopter-delivery-service-but-its-completely-impractical>
Oh! Oh! Oh! May I have one? (pant..pant)
It's easy to get your own quadcopter. Just wait for Amazon to start
delivery and shoot one out of the sky. Never mind the merchandise,
just keep the quadcopter.

I inherited 50% interest in one of these:
<http://rotorconcept.com/Discovery.asp>
At this time, it hasn't flown as I'm still doing damage control from
the original owner. The problem is that the damage was caused by me
destroying two brand new LIPO batteries by plugging them into a
defective "balance" charger. The replacement charger and batteries
just arrived, but I haven't had time to decode the charging and flying
instructions. Maybe tomorrow as I'll need it to take aerial photos of
ham radio Field Day next weekend.
b***@gmail.com
2014-06-22 17:06:58 UTC
Post by Robert Baer
Post by Jeff Liebermann
<http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/171879-amazon-unveils-30-minute-prime-air-quadcopter-delivery-service-but-its-completely-impractical>
Oh! Oh! Oh! May I have one? (pant..pant)
It's easy to get your own quadcopter. Just wait for Amazon to start
delivery and shoot one out of the sky. Never mind the merchandise,
just keep the quadcopter.
<http://rotorconcept.com/Discovery.asp>
At this time, it hasn't flown as I'm still doing damage control from
the original owner. The problem is that the damage was caused by me
destroying two brand new LIPO batteries by plugging them into a
defective "balance" charger. The replacement charger and batteries
just arrived, but I haven't had time to decode the charging and flying
instructions. Maybe tomorrow as I'll need it to take aerial photos of
ham radio Field Day next weekend.
What the industry needs is an in-flight recharger....
Jeff Liebermann
2014-06-22 22:45:39 UTC
On Sun, 22 Jun 2014 10:06:58 -0700 (PDT),
Post by b***@gmail.com
What the industry needs is an in-flight recharger....
No problem. Try a helium filled balloon to obtain neutral buoyancy.
Maybe some water ballast to reduce load on the motors. Solar panels
to recharge while "hovering".

<http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/15/google-airshow-streams-i-o-live-from-several-rc-blimps/>

Back of envelope guess(tm). The Amazon quadcopter could easily
support about 0.3 sq-meter of solar panels. With 15% efficiency at
about 800 watts/sq-meter, that would deliver 36 watts. My toy
quadcopter uses an 11.1v 2.2A-hr LIPO battery or 24 watt-hrs for about
20 minutes flying time (without helium assist). Assuming 80% charge
efficiency, it should charge from dead to full about:
0.8 * 24watt-hr / 36watt = 0.53 hrs
So, it could do a 20 minute flight to deliver a package, hover on
helium for 30 minutes (or less) while recharging, and then deliver
another package. Probably a stretch in cloudy, foggy, or limited
visibility, but still possible with amorphous cells that will charge
in dim light. Wind might also be a problem, but if it could drop
anchor and some ballast, it would become an aerostat while charging.
b***@gmail.com
2014-06-22 17:09:18 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
http://www.forbes.com/sites/lauraheller/2014/06/19/amazons-fire-phone-is-a-killer-shopping-app/
Has to be thru AT&T, some plans w/phone run up to $650, basic is $199, but you get a 12 month extension of Amazon Prime, so that
makes it worth it.
It is just an amazon shopping basket.
You do not need it.
Least of all pay for it.
BUT....it is so _cool_!
<http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/171879-amazon-unveils-30-minute-prime-air-quadcopter-delivery-service-but-its-completely-impractical>
There are businesses already using quadcopter delivery service, lightweight stuff like flowers, the idea did not originate with Amazon.
Jeff Liebermann
2014-06-22 23:20:44 UTC
On Sun, 22 Jun 2014 10:09:18 -0700 (PDT),
Post by b***@gmail.com
There are businesses already using quadcopter delivery service, lightweight
stuff like flowers, the idea did not originate with Amazon.
The flower delivery idea was shot down by the FAA:
<http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2014/02/13/faa-grounds-valentines-flower-delivery-express-drone/>

Personally, I prefer the pre-WWII rocketmail delivery system, but that
also had its regulatory detractors:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_mail>

Meanwhile, Walmart isn't going to just sit still and watch Amazon
dominate the potentially lucrative drone market:
<http://www.rockcitytimes.com/walmart-install-mini-surface-air-missiles-store-roofs-shoot-amazon-drones/>
Drone versus drone aerial combat is almost a certainty, where various
fulfillment houses and big box stores fight it out for domination of
the skies over your city. Maybe hijack the merchandise or return to
base with a drone in tow. Avast, ye scurvy dogs. Where be my Jolly
Roger flag?

Of course, the USPS will eventually get around to plugging the gapeing
hole in it's financial dike with a poorly conceived and even more
poorly executed clone of the service (much like their aborted attempt
to offer fax mail). I don't have much of a guess(tm) what form this
will take, but I'm sure it will be inordinately complex, cost more
than it's worth, require a small army to maintain, and be outsourced
so that they have someone to blame when it fails.

Maybe in rural areas first:
<http://www.ted.com/talks/andreas_raptopoulos_no_roads_there_s_a_drone_for_that>
Stay tuned.
b***@gmail.com
2014-06-22 23:24:06 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
[...]
Thank God Dept. Interior just prohibited overflights of national parks and preserves, they need to keep the people out next.
Jeff Liebermann
2014-06-23 00:45:18 UTC
On Sun, 22 Jun 2014 16:24:06 -0700 (PDT),
Post by b***@gmail.com
Thank God Dept. Interior just prohibited overflights of national
parks and preserves, they need to keep the people out next.
Yeah, that was dumb. What they should have done is added drones to
the list of critters that can be hunted and declare open season for
the summer months. Like other animals, they could charge for tickets,
licenses, and tags. They should probably limit the "bag" of drones to
something reasonable to avoid extinction. The drone industry would
love it because they could sell more drones. Manufacturers of
personal ground to air missiles would also prosper. Skeet shooting
using drones instead of clay pigeons could become an Olympic sport.

Typical government action; Instead of understanding the technology,
they just ban it.
b***@gmail.com
2014-06-23 01:34:33 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
Thank God Dept. Interior just prohibited overflights of national
parks and preserves, they need to keep the people out next.
Yeah, that was dumb. What they should have done is added drones to
the list of critters that can be hunted and declare open season for
the summer months. Like other animals, they could charge for tickets,
licenses, and tags. They should probably limit the "bag" of drones to
something reasonable to avoid extinction. The drone industry would
love it because they could sell more drones. Manufacturers of
personal ground to air missiles would also prosper. Skeet shooting
using drones instead of clay pigeons could become an Olympic sport.
Typical government action; Instead of understanding the technology,
they just ban it.
LOL- give it time, shooting down drones will become the new national pastime yet...
Jeff Liebermann
2014-06-23 03:05:55 UTC
On Sun, 22 Jun 2014 18:34:33 -0700 (PDT),
Post by b***@gmail.com
LOL- give it time, shooting down drones will become the
new national pastime yet...
Careful what you ask for. The government might just tax it.

I keep forgetting that this is an enlightened age, where acts of
violence, such as shooting down drones, is not universally acceptable.
Fortunately, there is a somewhat acceptable electronic alternative.
Simply setup a GPS pseudolite and convince all the drones that it's
located at the local Amazon warehouse. When done with their
deliveries, the drones will all land at your pseudolite, instead of
the real warehouse. If you can't get enough signal from the ground
because the drone GPS patch antenna is pointing upwards, just fly a
drone with the pseudolite transmitter above the flying altitude of the
Amazon drones. At that range, the power needed would be minimal and
therefore not interfere with aviation and mapping software:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudolite>
Reinhardt Behm
2014-06-23 04:50:25 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
LOL- give it time, shooting down drones will become the
new national pastime yet...
Careful what you ask for. The government might just tax it.
I keep forgetting that this is an enlightened age, where acts of
violence, such as shooting down drones, is not universally acceptable.
Fortunately, there is a somewhat acceptable electronic alternative.
Simply setup a GPS pseudolite and convince all the drones that it's
located at the local Amazon warehouse. When done with their
deliveries, the drones will all land at your pseudolite, instead of
the real warehouse. If you can't get enough signal from the ground
because the drone GPS patch antenna is pointing upwards, just fly a
drone with the pseudolite transmitter above the flying altitude of the
Amazon drones. At that range, the power needed would be minimal and
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudolite>
Would this be regarded as stealing if the drone comes voluntarily?
Reinhardt
Jan Panteltje
2014-06-23 05:05:19 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
[...]
It will all be over when the first drones start hitting people,
or causing property damage,
and GPS loss because of ultra high frequency switch modes interfering with 1,575,420,000 L1.
Kids with bow and arrow with a string....
Spear fishing gear....
Heavy rain (no deliveries), snow, ice, location errors (GPS is no better than 10 meters),
so package delivered to your neighbor (no I do not have that 100$ watch).
WIND and STORM.
Its a JOKE.
Tom Miller
2014-06-23 05:23:09 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
[...]
I believe everyone missed the real point of this. Millions of dollars of
free advertising for amazon.
Jan Panteltje
2014-06-23 05:31:49 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
[...]
Or perhaps an excuse to have a drone above every street to track your every move.
Jeff Bezos works for NSA.
Jeff Liebermann
2014-06-23 05:32:21 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
[...]
Yes, of course. Ignoring common law, statutory law, criminal law,
common sense, flotsam and jetsam, case law, 10 commandments, etc...
the modern determination is that any transfer of property that isn't
documented and taxed, must by default be illegal. Luring drones and
trapping them is much like cattle rustling. Whether the stolen cattle
or drones arrive voluntarily or are herded en masse is irrelevant.
It's still theft.
Jan Panteltje
2014-06-23 05:37:38 UTC
On a sunny day (Sun, 22 Jun 2014 22:32:21 -0700) it happened Jeff Liebermann
Post by Jeff Liebermann
Post by Reinhardt Behm
Would this be regarded as stealing if the drone comes voluntarily?
Yes, of course. Ignoring common law, statutory law, criminal law,
common sense, flotsam and jetsam, case law, 10 commandments, etc...
the modern determination is that any transfer of property that isn't
documented and taxed, must by default be illegal. Luring drones and
trapping them is much like cattle rustling. Whether the stolen cattle
or drones arrive voluntarily or are herded en masse is irrelevant.
It's still theft.
That depends, if the cattle starts runing through your kitchen,
passing thought your property,
you have the right to defend it and shoot the cattle if needed.
The air space close above your house and your garden is YOURS.
Now there is a food for lawyers!
And if the thing has cameras to spy on you or record you,
then THEY are in violation of the law.

Jan Panteltje
2014-06-20 09:11:22 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
http://www.forbes.com/sites/lauraheller/2014/06/19/amazons-fire-phone-is-a-killer-shopping-app/
Has to be thru AT&T, some plans w/phone run up to $650, basic is $199, but you get a 12 month extension of Amazon Prime, so that
makes it worth it.
It is just an amazon shopping basket.
You do not need it.
Least of all pay for it.

ON TOP OF THAT:
Bezos works for NSA (does data center for them).
So this phone comes with a direct link to them.
probably has build in remote controlled explosives to disable you if you want to for example renovate the white house,
or buy from somebody else than amazon.
It will monitor your thoughts too I am sure,
Watch you secretly via the build in 3 D cams,
Listen to what happens around you.
Location, acceleration, build in lie detector,
auto-buy..
John Larkin
2014-06-22 17:39:55 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
http://www.forbes.com/sites/lauraheller/2014/06/19/amazons-fire-phone-is-a-killer-shopping-app/
Has to be thru AT&T, some plans w/phone run up to $650, basic is $199, but you get a 12 month extension of Amazon Prime, so that makes it worth it.
Amazon Prime turns out to be a modest ripoff. The merchants who include "free"
2-day shipping charge more for stuff. And the "free" online movies are limited,
and often teasers, like the first season of a show, where subsequent seasons are
not free.
--
John Larkin Highland Technology Inc
www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation
b***@gmail.com
2014-06-22 18:01:50 UTC
Post by John Larkin
Post by b***@gmail.com
http://www.forbes.com/sites/lauraheller/2014/06/19/amazons-fire-phone-is-a-killer-shopping-app/
Has to be thru AT&T, some plans w/phone run up to $650, basic is $199, but you get a 12 month extension of Amazon Prime, so that makes it worth it.
Amazon Prime turns out to be a modest ripoff. The merchants who include "free"
2-day shipping charge more for stuff. And the "free" online movies are limited,
and often teasers, like the first season of a show, where subsequent seasons are
not free.
The affiliated marketplace sellers for all the big retail sites are full of ripoffs, so nothing new there. If the order is "fulfilled" by Amazon itself then it should be at least a modest bargain.
k***@attt.bizz
2014-06-22 22:35:54 UTC
On Sun, 22 Jun 2014 10:39:55 -0700, John Larkin
Post by John Larkin
Post by b***@gmail.com
http://www.forbes.com/sites/lauraheller/2014/06/19/amazons-fire-phone-is-a-killer-shopping-app/
Has to be thru AT&T, some plans w/phone run up to $650, basic is $199, but you get a 12 month extension of Amazon Prime, so that makes it worth it.
Amazon Prime turns out to be a modest ripoff.
I've never seen its purpose (or the HorrorFright equivalent). Much of
the merchandise has free shipping anyway. Even their normal ground
("slow") shipping is pretty quick.
Post by John Larkin
The merchants who include "free"
2-day shipping charge more for stuff. And the "free" online movies are limited,
and often teasers, like the first season of a show, where subsequent seasons are
not free.
Not necessarily. Stuff fulfilled by Amazon is usually priced pretty
well and some large items have very good prices and shipping offers
(hundreds of pounds shipped "free" to your door for the same price as
a "local" sale). One always has to check prices and shipping costs.
As always, caveat emptor.
b***@gmail.com
2014-06-22 23:21:54 UTC
Post by John Larkin
Post by b***@gmail.com
http://www.forbes.com/sites/lauraheller/2014/06/19/amazons-fire-phone-is-a-killer-shopping-app/
Has to be thru AT&T, some plans w/phone run up to $650, basic is $199, but you get a 12 month extension of Amazon Prime, so that makes it worth it.
Amazon Prime turns out to be a modest ripoff. The merchants who include "free"
2-day shipping charge more for stuff. And the "free" online movies are limited,
and often teasers, like the first season of a show, where subsequent seasons are
not free.
Anyone who watches serialized TV shows gets what they deserve...and quite a lot of movies for sale on Amazon are free on YouTube or other sites, depends on the genre :-)
John Larkin
2014-06-23 00:32:21 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
Post by John Larkin
Post by b***@gmail.com
http://www.forbes.com/sites/lauraheller/2014/06/19/amazons-fire-phone-is-a-killer-shopping-app/
Has to be thru AT&T, some plans w/phone run up to $650, basic is $199, but you get a 12 month extension of Amazon Prime, so that makes it worth it.
Amazon Prime turns out to be a modest ripoff. The merchants who include "free"
2-day shipping charge more for stuff. And the "free" online movies are limited,
and often teasers, like the first season of a show, where subsequent seasons are
not free.
Anyone who watches serialized TV shows gets what they deserve...and quite a lot of movies for sale on Amazon are free on YouTube or other sites, depends on the genre :-)
Treme' was excellent. And many of the BBC mysteries, especially the new
Sherlock. Dito Deadwood. There is a little good TV.