Claim That Covid-19 Came From Lab In China Completely Unfounded, Scientists Say
Winfield Hill
2020-04-18 19:06:14 UTC
https://science.slashdot.org/story/20/04/18/1836218/claim-that-covid-19-came-from-
lab-in-china-completely-unfounded-scientists-say
--
Thanks,
- Win
b***@columbus.rr.com
2020-04-18 19:14:22 UTC
I love it when people espouse a good conspiracy theory. I really love it when you cannot tell which side is pushing the crazy theories
John Larkin
2020-04-18 19:46:14 UTC
Post by Winfield Hill
https://science.slashdot.org/story/20/04/18/1836218/claim-that-covid-19-came-from-
lab-in-china-completely-unfounded-scientists-say
These days, you can find scientists to say most anything.
--
John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc
picosecond timing precision measurement

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com
b***@columbus.rr.com
Scientists are no different than musicians....He who pays the piper calls the tunes
John Larkin
2020-04-18 20:34:44 UTC
Post by b***@columbus.rr.com
Post by John Larkin
Post by Winfield Hill
https://science.slashdot.org/story/20/04/18/1836218/claim-that-covid-19-came-from-
lab-in-china-completely-unfounded-scientists-say
These days, you can find scientists to say most anything.
--
John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc
picosecond timing precision measurement
jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com
Scientists are no different than musicians....He who pays the piper calls the tunes
They are as driven by emotion and ego as musicians too. The computer
simulations are all over the place.

Phil Allison
2020-04-18 20:56:02 UTC
John Larkin wrote:

-------------------
Post by John Larkin
Post by b***@columbus.rr.com
Scientists are no different than musicians....
He who pays the piper calls the tunes
They are as driven by emotion and ego as musicians too. The computer
simulations are all over the place.
** Does anyone sensible really think that modelling future outcomes based on numerous guesses and hunches is doing science ?

It sure ain't the well founded "scientific method".

Seems the public have been conned into calling it science - because "scientists" are the ones doing it. Hmmmm....

"The science is settled" & "I believe in the science" are catchphrases trotted out to prove one's feelings about AGW have virtue.

IMO - all they really show is how gullible you are - or maybe something worse.

..... Phil
John Larkin
2020-04-18 21:04:03 UTC
On Sat, 18 Apr 2020 13:56:02 -0700 (PDT), Phil Allison
Post by Phil Allison
-------------------
Post by John Larkin
Post by b***@columbus.rr.com
Scientists are no different than musicians....
He who pays the piper calls the tunes
They are as driven by emotion and ego as musicians too. The computer
simulations are all over the place.
** Does anyone sensible really think that modelling future outcomes based on numerous guesses and hunches is doing science ?
It works OK for well-behaved, reasonably linear systems, which aren't
the most interesting or important systems.
Post by Phil Allison
It sure ain't the well founded "scientific method".
Seems the public have been conned into calling it science - because "scientists" are the ones doing it. Hmmmm....
TOP scientists!

Bill Sloman
2020-04-19 03:07:30 UTC
Post by Phil Allison
Post by John Larkin
Post by b***@columbus.rr.com
Scientists are no different than musicians....
He who pays the piper calls the tunes
They are as driven by emotion and ego as musicians too. The computer
simulations are all over the place.
** Does anyone sensible really think that modelling future outcomes based on numerous guesses and hunches is doing science ?
It works OK for well-behaved, reasonably linear systems, which aren't
the most interesting or important systems.
John Larkin uses Spice to model electronic circuits. He hasn't noticed that transistors have an exponential - non-linear - relationship between base-emitter voltage and collector current.
Post by John Larkin
Post by Phil Allison
It sure ain't the well founded "scientific method".
Of course not. But it is useful within the scientific method, when used by people who know what they doing. John Larkin doesn't know much about what they are doing (or what he's doing when he runs Spice)
Post by John Larkin
Post by Phil Allison
Seems the public have been conned into calling it science - because "scientists" are the ones doing it. Hmmmm....
TOP scientists!
The problem here is that John Larkin has a very strange idea of what constitutes science.
Post by John Larkin
Post by Phil Allison
"The science is settled" & "I believe in the science" are catchphrases trotted out to prove one's feelings about AGW have virtue.
John Larkin gets all his idea about anthropogenic global warming from denialist propaganda sites, and lacks the wit to realise that they are lying to him for their own commercial advantage.
Post by John Larkin
Post by Phil Allison
IMO - all they really show is how gullible you are - or maybe something worse.
John Larkin is terminally gullible.
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Tom Del Rosso
2020-04-18 21:03:56 UTC
Post by Phil Allison
"The science is settled" & "I believe in the science" are
catchphrases trotted out to prove one's feelings about AGW have
virtue.
"I believe in science" is a useful phrase because it marks the people
who wouldn't know science if it fell on them.

So does "the science is settled" to a lesser degree.
Bill Sloman
2020-04-19 03:16:28 UTC
Post by Tom Del Rosso
Post by Phil Allison
"The science is settled" & "I believe in the science" are
catchphrases trotted out to prove one's feelings about AGW have
virtue.
"I believe in science" is a useful phrase because it marks the people
who wouldn't know science if it fell on them.
So does "the science is settled" to a lesser degree.
Sadly, lots of people think this. The science about anthropogenic global warming really is settled - or as settled as a well-established scientific hypothesis can ever be. The earth is getting warmer, and it is getting warmer because the human habit of burning fossil carbon for fuel means that there is quite a bit more CO2 in the atmosphere than there was a few hundred years ago (or has been for the past 20 million years).

The fact that today's CO2 is short of carbon-14 does mean that the extra CO2 is our CO2 - fossil carbon doesn't contain any carbon-14.

John Larkin and Tom Del Rosso don't seem to know enough about science to understand this. The denialist propaganda machine does exploit their ignorance.
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Bill Sloman
2020-04-19 02:34:10 UTC
Post by John Larkin
Post by b***@columbus.rr.com
Post by John Larkin
Post by Winfield Hill
https://science.slashdot.org/story/20/04/18/1836218/claim-that-covid-19-came-from-
lab-in-china-completely-unfounded-scientists-say
These days, you can find scientists to say most anything.
--
John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc
picosecond timing precision measurement
jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com
Scientists are no different than musicians....He who pays the piper calls the tunes
They are as driven by emotion and ego as musicians too. The computer
simulations are all over the place.
Computer simulations are supposed to be all over the place. They are intended to demonstrate how different sets of assumption play out. Any computer model has to be a simplification of reality, and the interesting question is which set of simplifications are productive.

Scientists are quite as driven by emotion and ego as musicians - it's a theatrical profession - but what they produce is much more tightly constrained than musical compositions.

John Larkin is deeply ignorant about science, but at it's core it is a social mechanism designed to set up a coherent and cohesive view of the world. We've been working on the mechanism for the last couple of hundred years.

The Royal Society in London was the first one set up to formalise this process.

"The very first ‘learned society’ meeting on 28 November 1660 followed a lecture at Gresham College by Christopher Wren."

So far it seems to be working out pretty well.
Bill Sloman, sydney
whit3rd
2020-04-18 20:13:42 UTC
Post by John Larkin
Post by Winfield Hill
https://science.slashdot.org/story/20/04/18/1836218/claim-that-covid-19-came-from-
lab-in-china-completely-unfounded-scientists-say
These days, you can find scientists to say most anything.
No scientists trusts a scientist's words, rather we trust the data.
The 'say almost anything' phrase suggests that you've been finding
scientists entertaining hypotheses that aren't in agreement. That's normal,
and wouldn't surprise anyone with a good elementary school science
education. It's not noteworthy.

When a scientist, in this case, says a claim is unfounded, it means the
claim alone is worthless, absent a supporting observation; that doesn't
mean the claim is right or wrong, it means it's untested.

The dramatic-form 'he said, she said' squabbling is irrelevant in science. The
resolution will always come from observations, not words and syllables.
b***@columbus.rr.com
Science is a funny thing. When it flies airplanes and fires guns and heals people....the funny thing is....pretty much every one believes in science. The problem is when "scientists" make grand pronouncements , that funny enough , have huge political ramifications, with no proven anything....It is pretty much should be treated as bunk. And that data you talk about....It is usually twisted and distorted to drive an agenda.
Bill Sloman
2020-04-19 02:39:38 UTC
Post by b***@columbus.rr.com
Post by whit3rd
Post by John Larkin
Post by Winfield Hill
[...]
It difficult to twist or distort data. Somebody else can go out and measure the same thing, and the two sets of data had better agree - within the limits of observational accuracy.

Rght-wingers do seem to be susceptible to stuff that claims to be science, but is actually propaganda. The book "The Bell Curve" comes to mind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bell_Curve

It was dismantled by some real scientists

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inequality_by_Design

who - amongst other things - looked carefully at the data that Hernstein and Murray had relied on, and found that it didn't support the story that "The Bell Curve" had built on it.
Bill Sloman, Sydney
John Larkin
2020-04-18 20:38:51 UTC
Post by whit3rd
Post by John Larkin
Post by Winfield Hill
https://science.slashdot.org/story/20/04/18/1836218/claim-that-covid-19-came-from-
lab-in-china-completely-unfounded-scientists-say
These days, you can find scientists to say most anything.
No scientists trusts a scientist's words, rather we trust the data.
The 'say almost anything' phrase suggests that you've been finding
scientists entertaining hypotheses that aren't in agreement. That's normal,
and wouldn't surprise anyone with a good elementary school science
education. It's not noteworthy.
When a scientist, in this case, says a claim is unfounded, it means the
claim alone is worthless, absent a supporting observation; that doesn't
mean the claim is right or wrong, it means it's untested.
The dramatic-form 'he said, she said' squabbling is irrelevant in science. The
resolution will always come from observations, not words and syllables.
The problem now is too little observation, too little reliable data,
and too many opinions and simulations that are having gigantic
consequences.

The follow-up books, a year or so from now, will be fun. The good ones
will name names.

whit3rd
2020-04-18 21:54:44 UTC
Post by John Larkin
The problem now is too little observation, too little reliable data,
and too many opinions and simulations that are having gigantic
consequences.
Nonsense, as usual. You've also said there's too much news coverage.
We have a pandemic on a globe with 7.8 billion inhabitants
and you pronounce a finding of 'too many opinions'?
Post by John Larkin
The follow-up books, a year or so from now, will be fun.
Oh, you have some supporting data and a good model that predicts that?
Me, I'm predicting a practical vaccine for 'a year or so from now'. That's
my idea of fun.
John Larkin
2020-04-18 22:45:27 UTC
Post by whit3rd
Post by John Larkin
The problem now is too little observation, too little reliable data,
and too many opinions and simulations that are having gigantic
consequences.
Nonsense, as usual. You've also said there's too much news coverage.
We have a pandemic on a globe with 7.8 billion inhabitants
and you pronounce a finding of 'too many opinions'?
There are death projections that cover a 20:1 range. Some people say
it will be with us for 18 months, only stopping when have a vaccine in
mass production. Some people want to go back to work in two weeks.
Some want to go back now.

Some people suggest a second, bigger case surge in the fall. One big
name simulated a bouncing-ball curve of infections, multiple declining
peaks.

We are just now starting to get some antibody data.
Post by whit3rd
Post by John Larkin
The follow-up books, a year or so from now, will be fun.
Oh, you have some supporting data and a good model that predicts that?
You don't think anyone will write books about this? You don't think
they might be fun? Barry's book about the 1918 epidemic is great
reading.
Post by whit3rd
Me, I'm predicting a practical vaccine for 'a year or so from now'. That's
my idea of fun.
New cases seem to have peaked, and faded way down, in the places where
it started earliest. Look at the JHU new-case curves. Lots of european
countries are below 1/10 of peak now. It may well be gone before a
vaccine is available or useful, like most colds.

whit3rd
2020-04-19 00:04:26 UTC
Post by John Larkin
There are death projections that cover a 20:1 range.
From folk with credible models, and for the same region and time period?
Post by John Larkin
Some people say
it will be with us for 18 months, only stopping when have a vaccine...
"it" being... half a hundred things. Active sickness? Travel restrictions? Gathering
discouragement? Viable virus residues? Hospital staff wearing hazmat gear?
Some of those, yes; some of them, no. #shrug
Post by John Larkin
One big
name simulated a bouncing-ball curve of infections, multiple declining
peaks.
Yeah, that can happen. So, a simulation can show that happening. #shrug
Post by John Larkin
You don't think anyone will write books about this? You don't think
they might be fun? Barry's book about the 1918 epidemic is great
reading.
So is Betty MacDonald's _The Plague and I_, about TB. Not fun,
exactly.
We ought not anticipate such writing, though, rather we should let authors
surprise us.
John Larkin
2020-04-19 00:20:20 UTC
Post by whit3rd
Post by John Larkin
There are death projections that cover a 20:1 range.
From folk with credible models, and for the same region and time period?
One of them is possibly credible. We just don't know which one.

Ricky C
2020-04-19 00:10:57 UTC
Post by John Larkin
New cases seem to have peaked, and faded way down, in the places where
it started earliest. Look at the JHU new-case curves. Lots of european
countries are below 1/10 of peak now. It may well be gone before a
vaccine is available or useful, like most colds.
Not very likely. While the EU may be doing better most of the world is not. John literal not only doesn't understand math, he doesn't even understand numbers.

The world figures show over 1.5 million current cases growing by 53,000 each day. So every day we have more and more transmission. I don't understand why Larkin can't understand that we are still on the up ramp side of things across the world.

Even in the US we have 600,000 active infections, growing by around 30,000 each day. This isn't dropping currently.
Even the rate of new infections isn't dropping.

What Larkin seems totally incapable of understanding is that the infection rate is not dropping off anywhere because that is the natural path of the infection. It is dropping off in some places as a result of the measures they are taking to prevent the spread of the disease.

Even when Larkin focuses on "lots of european
countries", he is cherry picking a few that suit his ideas. The UK is not dropping at all. Germany is still around half the peak values. Italy is half. Spain is no less than half, likely more (rather spiky data). The Swiss have managed to get their new infection rate down to around a quarter. The French are headed in the right direction, but they are nowhere near a tenth unless he is looking at a single day with a very high reported number which is obviously a reporting glitch. That doesn't qualify as "lots" of countries.

So while Larkin usually cherry picks data, in this case he is just plain lying through his teeth.
--
Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Bill Sloman
2020-04-19 02:38:20 UTC
Post by John Larkin
Post by whit3rd
Post by John Larkin
Post by Winfield Hill
[...]
Sadly, the deficit in observation and reliable data describes John Larkin's situation, rather the science that he thinks he is commenting on.
Post by John Larkin
The follow-up books, a year or so from now, will be fun. The good ones
will name names.
I doubt if John Larkin will feature as an example of ill-informed comment - there are too many other around, and Donald Trump's pratfalls will probably get pride of place.
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Winfield Hill
2020-04-18 20:50:32 UTC
whit3rd wrote...
Post by whit3rd
Post by whit3rd
Post by John Larkin
Post by Winfield Hill
lab-in-china-completely-unfounded-scientists-say
These days, you can find scientists to say most anything.
No scientists trusts a scientist's words, rather we trust the data.
The 'say almost anything' phrase suggests that you've been finding
scientists entertaining hypotheses that aren't in agreement. That's
normal, and wouldn't surprise anyone with a good elementary school
science education. It's not noteworthy.
When a scientist, in this case, says a claim is unfounded, it means the
claim alone is worthless, absent a supporting observation; that doesn't
mean the claim is right or wrong, it means it's untested.
The dramatic-form 'he said, she said' squabbling is irrelevant in science.
The resolution will always come from observations, not words and syllables.
You should re-read the material. Here's one statement:
"The genetic data irrefutably show that SARS-CoV-2 is
not derived from any previously used virus backbone."

https://nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0820-9
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uox9g9kgq2h8r3v/s41591-020-0820-9.pdf?dl=1

That's one of many such strong statements. Alexandre Hassanin,
"Even if it is difficult to prove that a laboratory accident did not
take place, you should know that SARS-CoV-2 is not closely related
to any previous viruses; it was never sequenced (even partially)
in previous studies, and the COVID-19 outbreak began in November/
December, as in previous SARS epidemic events (2002 and 2003)."
Hassanin said: "These two points suggest therefore that the current
outbreak was not the consequence of a laboratory accident."

Eric Hundman, an Assistant Professor at NYU Shanghai, had stern
words for anyone still spreading this misinformation. "Insinuating
that the virus escaped from a lab in China by saying 'well, there's
no evidence that it didn't' is not only untrue, it amounts to
disinformation that could further ratchet up US-China tensions
and distract from more urgent priorities. There actually is
scientific evidence against the "escaped from a lab" theory."
--
Thanks,
- Win
b***@columbus.rr.com
It really matters not if it escaped from a lab or if it was some crazy bat virus from a slaughter market in Wuhan. What matters is why the immediate coverup. Why stopping those other scientists (you know the ones in China that were trying to get the word out about this thing and the Communists did what communists do....they lied, and punished their scientists. So the real question is what do we do with a communist country that want the benefits of interacting with the world, but refuses to play by the rules. What do all these scientists have to say about that. Also , are these scientists bothered that the Commies shut down Chinese scientists......Funny, I never read any stories about the comradary of scientists regarding these things.
Bill Sloman
2020-04-19 02:56:23 UTC
Post by b***@columbus.rr.com
Post by Winfield Hill
whit3rd wrote...
Post by whit3rd
Post by whit3rd
Post by John Larkin
Post by Winfield Hill
[...]
That seems to have been driven by the local politicans in Wuhan, who didn't like the idea that there might be an epidemic getting under way in their city.

The doctors who were worried about the new disease they were seeing didn't have enough data to spell out what was going on.

It didn't take all that many more cases to get people outside Wuhan interested, and their reaction was much more realistic, and the cover-up stopped pretty much as soon as they got enough data to make it clar what was going on.
Post by b***@columbus.rr.com
Why stopping those other scientists (you know the ones in China that were trying to get the word out about this thing and the Communists did what communists do....they lied, and punished their scientists.
The people who were told to shut up were the hospital doctors who were treating patients who were presenting with an unfamiliar disease. As soon as there was any scientific investigation of their suspicions, the cover-up stopped.
Post by b***@columbus.rr.com
So the real question is what do we do with a communist country that want the benefits of interacting with the world, but refuses to play by the rules.
As soon as they knew that that were dealing with a new disease, they did play by the rules.
Post by b***@columbus.rr.com
What do all these scientists have to say about that.
At least one of the clinicians who got told to shut up died of the disease, so we can't ask him.
Post by b***@columbus.rr.com
Also , are these scientists bothered that the Commies shut down Chinese scientists......Funny, I never read any stories about the comradery of scientists regarding these things.
You are confusing the medical doctors treating patients with the scientists tasked with finding out why the doctors suspected that they were dealing with a new disease.

The local authorities did tell the doctors to shut up about their suspicions, but when the higher authorities got interested, the results of the scientific investigations did get published pretty promptly.

Try to learn a bit more about what actually did happen.
Bill Sloman, Sydney
John Robertson
2020-04-18 21:23:45 UTC
Post by Winfield Hill
whit3rd wrote...
Post by whit3rd
Post by whit3rd
Post by John Larkin
Post by Winfield Hill
[...]
The fact that this and SARS both appeared in November (2002 and 2019) is
interesting.

Any meteor showers that peak at that time of the year? Mostly the Leonid
occur at that time. Perhaps someone has some time to poke around
archives a bit to see if any other disease outbreaks happened after
meteor showers.

So I did a brief search and found this scientist who proposes more or
less exactly that:

https://profchandra.org/

Didn't recall seeing any mention of him before. I also see that Fred
Hoyle and Prof Chandra had written a book on the subject...

Perhaps other scientists will look into this without preconceptions and
either refute it or endorse the theory as needing more attention.

John
d***@yahoo.com
2020-04-18 21:26:26 UTC
Post by Winfield Hill
whit3rd wrote...
Post by whit3rd
Post by whit3rd
Post by John Larkin
Post by Winfield Hill
[...]
But that's a profoundly unscientific statement on its face -- who
cares whether it's a "virus backbone" previously used in Western
research? How would that prevent anyone who wanted to, at any time,
from acquiring a sample and studying it? And how does this individual
purport to know the particulars of every virus and viral experiment
in all the world's labs?

It's a preposterous statement. Further, who cares? That he's not
aware of anyone using it before, does not mean Wuhan virologists
could not have collected it, collected then modified it, or even
synthesized it.

I'm not arguing for any theory. But these are thoroughly unscientific
rebuttals.

Cheers,
James Arthur
Phil Hobbs
2020-04-18 22:34:24 UTC
Post by Winfield Hill
whit3rd wrote...
Post by whit3rd
Post by whit3rd
Post by John Larkin
Post by Winfield Hill
[...]
Funny how having several colleagues get disappeared for saying otherwise
will do that.

Cheers

Phil
--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Phil Hobbs
2020-04-18 22:32:08 UTC
Post by whit3rd
Post by John Larkin
Post by Winfield Hill
https://science.slashdot.org/story/20/04/18/1836218/claim-that-covid-19-came-from-
lab-in-china-completely-unfounded-scientists-say
These days, you can find scientists to say most anything.
No scientists trusts a scientist's words, rather we trust the data.
What do you mean "we", paleface? ;)
Post by whit3rd
The 'say almost anything' phrase suggests that you've been finding
scientists entertaining hypotheses that aren't in agreement. That's normal,
and wouldn't surprise anyone with a good elementary school science
education. It's not noteworthy.
When a scientist, in this case, says a claim is unfounded, it means the
claim alone is worthless, absent a supporting observation; that doesn't
mean the claim is right or wrong, it means it's untested.
The dramatic-form 'he said, she said' squabbling is irrelevant in science. The
resolution will always come from observations, not words and syllables.
Dream on. You should see some of the dreck I get sent to peer-review.
Thirty years of watching the average quality go straight into the tank
would probably cure even you of that Pollyanna view of science you keep
trotting out.

It's a great pity, but 21st Century science has fallen a long way from
the 20th Century.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs
--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Bill Sloman
2020-04-19 02:10:40 UTC
Post by John Larkin
Post by Winfield Hill
https://science.slashdot.org/story/20/04/18/1836218/claim-that-covid-19-came-from-
lab-in-china-completely-unfounded-scientists-say
These days, you can find scientists to say most anything.
Particularly when you haven't got a clue what constitutes "science".
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Tom Del Rosso
2020-04-18 21:07:13 UTC
Post by Winfield Hill
https://science.slashdot.org/story/20/04/18/1836218/claim-that-covid-19-came-from-
lab-in-china-completely-unfounded-scientists-say
I didn't know you had to be a scientist to determine that. But it was a
lab if a food market is a lab.

Amazing how ancient people in the middle east figured out that some
things are not safe to eat and the Chinese still haven't.
John Larkin
2020-04-18 22:48:15 UTC
On Sat, 18 Apr 2020 17:07:13 -0400, "Tom Del Rosso"
Post by Tom Del Rosso
Post by Winfield Hill
https://science.slashdot.org/story/20/04/18/1836218/claim-that-covid-19-came-from-
lab-in-china-completely-unfounded-scientists-say
I didn't know you had to be a scientist to determine that. But it was a
lab if a food market is a lab.
Amazing how ancient people in the middle east figured out that some
things are not safe to eat and the Chinese still haven't.
The Japanese discovered a lot of sanitary stuff before bacteria were
imagined.

John Doe
2020-04-19 00:45:20 UTC
Post by John Larkin
Post by Tom Del Rosso
I didn't know you had to be a scientist to determine that. But
it was a lab if a food market is a lab.
Amazing how ancient people in the middle east figured out that
some things are not safe to eat and the Chinese still haven't.
The Japanese discovered a lot of sanitary stuff before bacteria
were imagined.
Could be, but the Japanese aren't the Chinese.

Yes, I know "they all look alike".

The Japanese realized how useful branding is. Something the Chinese
haven't figured out even though they have had more than enough time.
John Doe
lol
d***@yahoo.com
2020-04-18 21:12:33 UTC
Post by Winfield Hill
https://science.slashdot.org/story/20/04/18/1836218/claim-that-covid-19-came-from-
lab-in-china-completely-unfounded-scientists-say
--
Thanks,
- Win
Despite the deference to "scientists," I didn't see any scientific
arguments, merely "scientists" speculating, and their speculations
being tossed around non-scientifically by non-scientists.

ISTM it's a forensic matter rather than scientific. If China were
a free country, we'd simply scour their labs' collections for traces
of the Wuhan Scourge. If it's not there, the lab's excluded. And
we'd look at personnel records too, maybe, to find the first cases.
However, China won't allow it.

Absent that, it's entirely possible this group -- known to have been
studying coronavirus reservoirs in the wild -- collected SARS-CoV2,
then lost control. Or synthesized something, or collected, then
modified something wild, etc. Or that none of that happened.

There are manifold possibilities that can't be excluded -- it's a
mystery.

The NYU Shanghai prof's Twitter thread is full of gaping holes.

Cheers,
James Arthur
George Herold
2020-04-18 22:25:58 UTC
Post by d***@yahoo.com
Post by Winfield Hill
[...]
I agree. Say James, what news sources do you read? I find most news
almost impossible to read, because of the 'slant' of the source.
It's not that the 'slants' have gotten worse, but my tolerance is
much lower. (grumpy old man complex)

George H.
John Larkin
2020-04-18 22:57:31 UTC
On Sat, 18 Apr 2020 15:25:58 -0700 (PDT), George Herold
Post by George Herold
Post by d***@yahoo.com
Post by Winfield Hill
[...]
No, the slants are extreme lately. You can read the first paragraph of
a news report and predict which camp it came from.

There must be a new Recommended Insults appendix to the NY Times Style
Book.

John Doe
2020-04-19 00:51:48 UTC
Post by George Herold
Post by d***@yahoo.com
[...]
Racist!
Given the Internet, getting news from the source is much easier
nowadays. Like directly from courts and legislatures. I was watching
C-SPAN long before the Internet, but now it's super easy. Access to
court proceedings not very difficult.
John Larkin
2020-04-18 22:54:02 UTC
Post by d***@yahoo.com
Post by Winfield Hill
[...]
Maybe they just transported some bat virus from a cave for research
purposes, and it infected a lab tech and got loose.

There was a guy on NPR this morning, a bat collector who does crawl
into caves and traps bats and takes varuous iccky samples to look at
their viruses. Bats host huge ranges of viruses that apparently do
them little or no harm. Like another virus I could name.
Post by d***@yahoo.com
There are manifold possibilities that can't be excluded -- it's a
mystery.
The NYU Shanghai prof's Twitter thread is full of gaping holes.
Shanghai resident Assistant Professor? Of course he is an objective
expert.
Post by d***@yahoo.com
Cheers,
James Arthur

b***@gmail.com
2020-04-18 22:58:58 UTC
Post by Winfield Hill
https://science.slashdot.org/story/20/04/18/1836218/claim-that-covid-19-came-from-
lab-in-china-completely-unfounded-scientists-say
--
Thanks,
- Win
Absence of proof is not proof of absence.

Anyway, latest genetic analysis on extant virus samples from China exclude the whole city of Wuhan as the origin. They're zooming in on Guangdong as the origin, and possibly as early as September.

https://www.newsweek.com/coronavirus-outbreak-september-not-wuhan-1498566
speff
2020-04-18 23:27:43 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
Post by Winfield Hill
https://science.slashdot.org/story/20/04/18/1836218/claim-that-covid-19-came-from-
lab-in-china-completely-unfounded-scientists-say
--
Thanks,
- Win
Absence of proof is not proof of absence.
Anyway, latest genetic analysis on extant virus samples from China exclude the whole city of Wuhan as the origin. They're zooming in on Guangdong as the origin, and possibly as early as September.
https://www.newsweek.com/coronavirus-outbreak-september-not-wuhan-1498566
If it has natural origins with an intermediate animal, GD makes a lot more sense than Wuhan because they're far more into weird stuff there.

“The Cantonese will eat everything on four legs except the table.”

Wuhan is more boring- their famous dish is just spicy noodles.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
John Doe
2020-04-19 00:38:07 UTC
Not getting enough attention...
From: Winfield Hill <winfieldhill yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Claim That Covid-19 Came From Lab In China Completely Unfounded, Scientists Say
Date: 18 Apr 2020 12:06:14 -0700
Post by Winfield Hill
https://science.slashdot.org/story/20/04/18/1836218/claim-that-covid-19-came-from-
lab-in-china-completely-unfounded-scientists-say
People always use the term "conspiracy theory" for any theory they don't
agree with, whether or not it has anything to do with a conspiracy. A
lab accident, if it happened, is not a conspiracy.
Phil Allison
2020-04-19 02:13:59 UTC
Tom Del Rosso wrote:

--------------------
Post by Tom Del Rosso
People always use the term "conspiracy theory" for any theory they don't
agree with, whether or not it has anything to do with a conspiracy.
** What idiocy.

The term refers to hypotheses of events that require and large number of persons be involved and yet silent on the fact - seemingly indefinitely.

Any believer is required to suspend disbelief about the extreme improbability of that actually being the case.

So far, no such hypotheses have ever proved correct - from flying saucers, flat earth and space aliens running the world and worse.
Post by Tom Del Rosso
A lab accident, if it happened, is not a conspiracy.
** My god you are dumb.

The conspiracy bit relates to ALL those aware being complicit and silent.

.... Phil
Tom Del Rosso
2020-04-19 02:22:39 UTC
Post by Phil Allison
--------------------
Post by Tom Del Rosso
A lab accident, if it happened, is not a conspiracy.
** My god you are dumb.
The conspiracy bit relates to ALL those aware being complicit and silent.
That's not a conspiracy either. That's a dictatorial government telling
people what to do.

My god you are in need of therapy.
John Doe
2020-04-19 02:36:30 UTC
<blather>
lol
Ricky C
2020-04-19 03:23:57 UTC
Post by John Doe
<blather>
Post by Tom Del Rosso
My god you are in need of therapy.
lol
You can laugh, but you are right there sitting next to him on the group W bench.

Bill Sloman
2020-04-19 03:29:30 UTC
Post by Ricky C
Post by John Doe
<blather>
Post by Tom Del Rosso
My god you are in need of therapy.
lol
You can laugh, but you are right there sitting next to him on the group W bench.
That's unkind and inaccurate. John Doe is a complete idiot. Phil Allison does have some useful information to impart, even if he is prone to fly off the handle if even minimally provoked.
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Phil Allison
2020-04-19 02:49:46 UTC
Tom Del Rosso Cannot Read wrote:

-------------------------------
Post by Tom Del Rosso
Post by Tom Del Rosso
A lab accident, if it happened, is not a conspiracy.
** My god you are dumb.
The conspiracy bit relates to ALL those aware being complicit and silent.
That's not a conspiracy either. That's a dictatorial government telling
people what to do.
** All you wrote was "lab accident" .

No mention of a govt forced cover up.

Go fuck yourself.

..... Phil
bitrex
2020-04-19 03:00:38 UTC
Post by Phil Allison
--------------------
Post by Tom Del Rosso
A lab accident, if it happened, is not a conspiracy.
** My god you are dumb.
The conspiracy bit relates to ALL those aware being complicit and silent.
.... Phil
Who needs "conspiracies" when politicians can openly tell Americans "I
could shoot one of you and get away with it" and they actually seem
extremely happy someone is finally being honest with them.
Ricky C
2020-04-19 03:21:47 UTC
Post by Phil Allison
--------------------
Post by Tom Del Rosso
People always use the term "conspiracy theory" for any theory they don't
agree with, whether or not it has anything to do with a conspiracy.
** What idiocy.
The term refers to hypotheses of events that require and large number of persons be involved and yet silent on the fact - seemingly indefinitely.
Any believer is required to suspend disbelief about the extreme improbability of that actually being the case.
So far, no such hypotheses have ever proved correct - from flying saucers, flat earth and space aliens running the world and worse.
That's not accurate. There have been many events that were kept secret by the government for many years before they finally were revealed and acknowledged. One good example is the “Tuskegee Study of Untreated Syphilis in the Negro Male.” The experiment went on for 40 years from 1932 to 1972. It involved who knows how many people in the government knowingly participating. It was only when an employee of the Public Health Service went public to the press that the experiment ended.

This is just one notable example of many people needing to keep quiet to maintain a secret that would not be well received by the general public.

bitrex
2020-04-19 03:32:51 UTC
Post by Ricky C
Post by Phil Allison
--------------------
Post by Tom Del Rosso
[...]
Likely few involved thought they were doing anything "wrong" and it's
unlikely most of the American public would've cared much either prior to
1972 anyway there wouldn't be anyone to tell. Yeah they're doing some
medical experiments on poor black men, whatever.

Doesn't seem like they did much extremely proactive to keep those
experiments much of a "secret" for the majority of the 40 years nobody
gave a shit for the most part.

To have an actual conspiracy I'd argue some significant part of the
conspirators have to believe they're actually doing something bad or
against the law they weren't breaking any laws of the time as far as I know.
bitrex
2020-04-19 03:38:20 UTC
Post by bitrex
[...]
Take that "story" to any major American newspaper in 1955 and the editor
would laugh at you "What do you think you have here, they're doing some
medical tests on broke niggers for the benefit of everyone's public
health and you want me to run a headline about it? what the fuck kind of
story is this"
Ricky C
2020-04-19 03:55:19 UTC
Post by bitrex
To have an actual conspiracy I'd argue some significant part of the
conspirators have to believe they're actually doing something bad or
against the law they weren't breaking any laws of the time as far as I know.
Not the first time you'd think wrong.

Seems like someone disagreed with your opinion. A lot of someones once the news broke.

+- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
bitrex
2020-04-19 04:19:24 UTC
Post by Ricky C
Post by bitrex
To have an actual conspiracy I'd argue some significant part of the
conspirators have to believe they're actually doing something bad or
against the law they weren't breaking any laws of the time as far as I know.
Not the first time you'd think wrong.
Seems like someone disagreed with your opinion. A lot of someones once the news broke.
There was a class-action ethics lawsuit that was settled. Who went to
jail? on what charges? what criminal laws were broken?

"It was only when an employee of the Public Health Service went public
to the press that the experiment ended. "

Not exactly, the study was known about by medical professionals and
academics before 1972 and professionals in the field had accused the
organizers of unethical practice a number of times before and attempted
to draw attention to the matter. Nobody cared:

<https://tenor.com/view/nobody-cares-nobody-cares-spongebob-imagination-gif-8176136>

Not much of a "conspiracy." More like an "open secret"
bitrex
2020-04-19 04:27:32 UTC
Post by bitrex
Post by Ricky C
Post by bitrex
[...]
Moreover the authors had published data under their own names in
journals about the study's results that's how other medical
professionals read about it and sent them letters of protest. They used
their real names and they prolly found their addresses in the fucking
phone book! what kind of "secret" is this!
Phil Allison
2020-04-19 04:34:56 UTC
Ricky C wrote:

---------------
Post by Ricky C
Post by Phil Allison
The term refers to hypotheses of events that require and large number of persons be involved and yet silent on the fact - seemingly indefinitely.
Any believer is required to suspend disbelief about the extreme improbability of that actually being the case.
So far, no such hypotheses have ever proved correct - from flying saucers, flat earth and space aliens running the world and worse.
That's not accurate. There have been many events that were kept secret
by the government for many years before they finally were revealed
and acknowledged.
** Governments rely on privacy/secrecy provisions that all public servants must sign before taking up employment. Sometimes there are anonymous leaks to journalists.

But this it not a conspiracy, which is an agreement between persons carrying out an nefarious act.

One good example is the “Tuskegee Study of Untreated Syphilis in the Negro Male.” The experiment went on for 40 years from 1932 to 1972. It involved who knows how many people in the government knowingly participating. It was only when an employee of the Public Health Service went public to the press that the experiment ended.

** So not a conspiracy - the employee had to risk their future career to do that.
Post by Ricky C
This is just one notable example of many people needing to keep quiet
to maintain a secret that would not be well received by the general
public.
** Such situations are common, in business and government organisations. It is why "whistle blower" laws were created in many places.

.... Phil
Ricky C
2020-04-19 04:59:30 UTC
Post by Phil Allison
---------------
Post by Ricky C
Post by Phil Allison
The term refers to hypotheses of events that require and large number of persons be involved and yet silent on the fact - seemingly indefinitely.
Any believer is required to suspend disbelief about the extreme improbability of that actually being the case.
So far, no such hypotheses have ever proved correct - from flying saucers, flat earth and space aliens running the world and worse.
That's not accurate. There have been many events that were kept secret
by the government for many years before they finally were revealed
and acknowledged.
** Governments rely on privacy/secrecy provisions that all public servants must sign before taking up employment. Sometimes there are anonymous leaks to journalists.
That's total BS. I was a federal employee and I never had to sign anything about secrets. You make up stuff and then try to pass it on as fact. Why?
Post by Ricky C
One good example is the “Tuskegee Study of Untreated Syphilis in the Negro Male.” The experiment went on for 40 years from 1932 to 1972. It involved who knows how many people in the government knowingly participating. It was only when an employee of the Public Health Service went public to the press that the experiment ended.
** So not a conspiracy - the employee had to risk their future career to do that.
Nope. You are just wrong... again. Sometimes you are a bit like the guy they call alwayswrong.
Post by Phil Allison
Post by Ricky C
This is just one notable example of many people needing to keep quiet
to maintain a secret that would not be well received by the general
public.
** Such situations are common, in business and government organisations. It is why "whistle blower" laws were created in many places.
Yes, exactly. So now you are agreeing that this was a conspiracy. That's why you need whistle blowers, to rat out the conspirators. It's not about revealing secrets. The only secrets the government can enforce are sensitive documents they classify as such. That is a whole different matter where you can and will go to jail for releasing.

Whatever. I'm not going to debate this with you. I don't recall any time you have ever backed down from being wrong in any discussion with anyone. So what's the point of endlessly explaining anything to you?

Enjoy..

Ricky C
2020-04-19 03:11:02 UTC
Post by Tom Del Rosso
Post by Winfield Hill
https://science.slashdot.org/story/20/04/18/1836218/claim-that-covid-19-came-from-
lab-in-china-completely-unfounded-scientists-say
People always use the term "conspiracy theory" for any theory they don't
agree with, whether or not it has anything to do with a conspiracy. A
lab accident, if it happened, is not a conspiracy.
When they say "conspiracy theory" they are referring to the fact that the idea is believed in without much evidence... or in most cases, any substantial evidence.

I posted a day or two ago that there was information that indicated this infection coming from a Wuhan lab was thin, but not unbelievable or however I put it at the time. While the supporting information is scant, there is also very little evidence of the virus originating spontaneously from natural causes and showing up in the wet market.

Our friend Bill seems to be very dismissive of this idea. I agree that the evidence is very thin so at this point it is only a possibility. But the theory that it came from natural means via the Wuhan wet market is equally thin and also only a possibility. As usual Bill can't discuss a topic reasonably, something he has in common with a number of people here. So I won't debate it with him just as I try not to respond to DLU (Deluded Unix User).

I am interested in any evidence anyone has about either theory of the origin of this virus.

Bill Sloman
2020-04-19 03:24:57 UTC
Post by Ricky C
Post by Tom Del Rosso
Post by Winfield Hill
[...]
Rick C.'s idea of a reasonable discussion is one in which other people agree with his - frequently sily - ideas. He can't get it into his head that he might be wrong.
Post by Ricky C
So I won't debate it with him just as I try not to respond to DLU (Deluded Unix User).
Of course not. He ends up looking like an idiot when he tries.
Post by Ricky C
I am interested in any evidence anyone has about either theory of the origin of this virus.
The theory that Covid-19 evolved naturally, in the same way as SARS and MERS and (much earlier) measles, is pretty persuasive. Why invoke an virus lab when you don't have to? William of Occam spelled out the principle some time ago
Bill Sloman, Sydney
bitrex
2020-04-19 03:12:57 UTC
Post by Tom Del Rosso
Post by Winfield Hill
https://science.slashdot.org/story/20/04/18/1836218/claim-that-covid-19-came-from-
lab-in-china-completely-unfounded-scientists-say
People always use the term "conspiracy theory" for any theory they don't
agree with, whether or not it has anything to do with a conspiracy. A
lab accident, if it happened, is not a conspiracy.
Your wife or girlfriend may very well be having gang bangs with five
dudes every weekend when you're not home but unless you can come up with
hard evidence of these events it's you that tends to end up looking like
the villain, not her, if one goes around talking about one's suspicions
to anyone who will listen.

The irony being the man in question is indeed sometimes correct, but 95%
of the time the man in question has also been jumping at shadows and
making all sorts of accusations based on circumstantial evidence for a
long time before the truth comes out, and when it finally does the only
thing people seem to remember is him being the "bad guy", and don't seem
to care too much about her behavior, anyway.